VMware Cloud Community
giuliano26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Create and Migrate 2 vStandart Switch (vSS) into 2 vSphere Distribute Switch (vDS)

Just want to ask and seek an Expert opinions.

i have two vSS Switch existing on production host (there are 10 Hosts). 1 Switch for Management VMKernel Ports (vCenter & vMotion) and 1 Switch for VM Network Data with 24 VLAN Port Groups.

I want to migrate them into 2 vDS Switch with the same switch configuration as vSS. 1 vDS switch for Management (VMKernel Ports) and the other one for VM Network Data with 24 VLAN Port Groups.

i have already create 5 new testing hosts with vDS configuration same as the above to test it and implement it for next production host migration.

vDS Mgmt.PNGvDS Data.PNG

The question is, can i actually do this? is there any best practices to implement this? i want to make sure that can this is work?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you can do this. Create your vDSs just like your vSSs are. On your first vSS, set one of the uplinks to active and the other to unused. Remove the unused uplink. Add it to the vDS. Then, migrate either VM port groups or vmkernel interfaces to the vDS. Test and make sure things work. Once VMs are migrated to port groups and services are removed from vSS, you can remove the last uplink, assign it to the vDS, and delete the vSSs.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you can do this. Create your vDSs just like your vSSs are. On your first vSS, set one of the uplinks to active and the other to unused. Remove the unused uplink. Add it to the vDS. Then, migrate either VM port groups or vmkernel interfaces to the vDS. Test and make sure things work. Once VMs are migrated to port groups and services are removed from vSS, you can remove the last uplink, assign it to the vDS, and delete the vSSs.

giuliano26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What is the best practices to migrate the vSS?

What should i migrate first? the VMKernel switch or the VM Data Switch?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are some details here. What you migrate first doesn't really matter.

0 Kudos
giuliano26
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your support!

0 Kudos