KatsumiOsoegawa
Contributor
Contributor

Could we migrate virtual machine for Cisco ISE to other ESXi by the Advanced cross vcenter vmotion ?

Jump to solution

Hi !

The Cisco ISE is orignal OS base on Linux. I would like to migrate virtual machine for Cisco ISE to other ESXi. Cisco support said Cisco supported cold migration by vmotion. Also I able to use Advanced cross vcenter vmotion at present.

Usually we call vmotion as migrate virtual machine on same ESXi. Also I know that Advanced cross vcenter vmotion able to migrate virtual machine to other ESXi. 

I think ACVV able to migrate virtual machine to other ESXi. 

What is the difference between vmotion and ACVV when not considering the destination ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KatsumiOsoegawa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

I received response about my question from Cisco destributer. They said we support cold ACVV to migrate ISE2.6 . (The Cisco ISE 2.6 installation guide states that it supports cold migration.) However they said it do yourself on own risk.

I will close my question.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KatsumiOsoegawa
Contributor
Contributor

We has ESX license for our bussiness . It is not ESXi free license. I apologize that my mistake.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Aehhhhh....

• vMotion = Migrate a VM from one ESXi to another while VM is powered on
  • svMotion = Migrate the data of a VM from one Datastore into another
  • adv. svMotion (aka shared nothing) = Migrate a VM and their data from one Host to another and moving data at the same time. So you can move a VM from one local storage to another local storage and change Host

All from the above is within the same vCenter instance

cross vcenter vmotion = from one vCenter into another. Normaly they are running in link mode.  But it is possible to move to a vCenter when they are not linked each other or better when not in the same SSO Domain. Thats what they called Adv. Cross vCenter vMotion

KatsumiOsoegawa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

I received response about my question from Cisco destributer. They said we support cold ACVV to migrate ISE2.6 . (The Cisco ISE 2.6 installation guide states that it supports cold migration.) However they said it do yourself on own risk.

I will close my question.

Thank you.

0 Kudos