VMware Cloud Community
KatsumiOsoegawa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could we migrate virtual machine for Cisco ISE to other ESXi by the Advanced cross vcenter vmotion ?

Hi !

The Cisco ISE is orignal OS base on Linux. I would like to migrate virtual machine for Cisco ISE to other ESXi. Cisco support said Cisco supported cold migration by vmotion. Also I able to use Advanced cross vcenter vmotion at present.

Usually we call vmotion as migrate virtual machine on same ESXi. Also I know that Advanced cross vcenter vmotion able to migrate virtual machine to other ESXi. 

I think ACVV able to migrate virtual machine to other ESXi. 

What is the difference between vmotion and ACVV when not considering the destination ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KatsumiOsoegawa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi !

I received response about my question from Cisco destributer. They said we support cold ACVV to migrate ISE2.6 . (The Cisco ISE 2.6 installation guide states that it supports cold migration.) However they said it do yourself on own risk.

I will close my question.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KatsumiOsoegawa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We has ESX license for our bussiness . It is not ESXi free license. I apologize that my mistake.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Aehhhhh....

• vMotion = Migrate a VM from one ESXi to another while VM is powered on
  • svMotion = Migrate the data of a VM from one Datastore into another
  • adv. svMotion (aka shared nothing) = Migrate a VM and their data from one Host to another and moving data at the same time. So you can move a VM from one local storage to another local storage and change Host

All from the above is within the same vCenter instance

cross vcenter vmotion = from one vCenter into another. Normaly they are running in link mode.  But it is possible to move to a vCenter when they are not linked each other or better when not in the same SSO Domain. Thats what they called Adv. Cross vCenter vMotion

KatsumiOsoegawa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi !

I received response about my question from Cisco destributer. They said we support cold ACVV to migrate ISE2.6 . (The Cisco ISE 2.6 installation guide states that it supports cold migration.) However they said it do yourself on own risk.

I will close my question.

Thank you.

0 Kudos