VMware Cloud Community
Goofoff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converge to Embedded in 6.7u2 Web Client

I finished upgrading my existing dual 6.5 vcsa with dual external psc environment ( 1 vcsa and 1 psc at each of 2 sites). to the latest 6.7U2 build 31100 ( i think that is what it was)

We wanted to do the convergence in the web client.

I always get an error about

cannot get payload, please check documentation about specifying a repository or mount the iso.

this is open to the internet but it made no difference if i mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom with the iso or not.

Any ideas??

its not super critical as everything is working but i want to get this collapsed.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anvanster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It looks like the tool cannot get to the "payload" directory on the DVD to copy RPM files.

Check how you are running it, it looks like you need to cd into win32 folder and execute something like this:

"vcsa-util converge --no-ssl-certificate-verification --backup-taken --verbose c:\Users\administrator\Documents\converge.json"

Also include log tag: "--log-dir c:\temp"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
anvanster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

can you please describe the problem in more detail. New web client is installes as a part of the upgrade.

The arror about "getting payload" does not provide much details. Do you get it while deploying new 6.7u2 VCSA?

0 Kudos
Goofoff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The getting payload error is what shows up in a yellow bar at 1% after starting the convergence when it is doing the pre-upgrade checks.

This was a 6.5->6.7u2 upgrade of the vcsa and psc's. The new 6.7u2 vcsa appliances are already deployed/up and running/with hosts attached, we wanted to collapse the upgraded 6.7u2 PSC's into the VCSA.

And  Yes i know the error about getting payload is not much details but that is all the error says. It doesn't even give a link to learn more/an error code or anything of the sort.

0 Kudos
Goofoff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

the actual text of the error.

"Failed to get payload. Check Documentation for updating the repository information or mounting the image" is all I get

0 Kudos
anvanster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It looks like the tool cannot get to the "payload" directory on the DVD to copy RPM files.

Check how you are running it, it looks like you need to cd into win32 folder and execute something like this:

"vcsa-util converge --no-ssl-certificate-verification --backup-taken --verbose c:\Users\administrator\Documents\converge.json"

Also include log tag: "--log-dir c:\temp"

Raj1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The error means that it cannot find the RPM's required here. Looks like you did everything right .

Can you reboot all the boxes and re-download the 6.7U2 VCSA Full ISO and mount it again to the VCSA(boxes) and check the below link .

Converge to an Embedded Platform Services Controller Node Using the vSphere Client

Download and Mount the vCenter Server Appliance Installer for UI Convergence

Regards,

AJ

Goofoff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like to apologize for being an idiot.

The error was not very helpful.

I tried the cli style and started getting more descriptive errors like " the  ISO version and installed VCSA are not the same"...The available ISO from vmware was not build 31100, it was 31000.

I had to dig into the vmware patch section to find the new iso because the main download section links had not been updated.

The html5 gui version for the collapse now worked without issue.

Already collapsed both sides and decommed the PSC....i just knew it was something stupid...but also kinda wish the gui error said something like version mismatch.

0 Kudos
BairdVMAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you please provide a bit more detail?

Is a command line version of the GUI converge process? If so how does the "--verbose c:\Users\" come into play?

0 Kudos