VMware Cloud Community
henry_wang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Consolidate virtual machine disk files failed,duo to unable to access file<unspecified filename> since it is locked

ESXI 5.1

Vcenter 5.1

VDP 5.1

Can't consolidate virtual machine disk files, unable to access file<unspecified filename> since it is locked,  I checked virtual machine datastore, I found some VM_00001.vmdk,VM_00002.vmdk,VM_00003.vmdk,

recently, I delete my vdp server and reinstall it, I think it's root cause, and the virtual machines no snapshot,, But How to solve this issue,

Now consolidate and Migrate virtual machines will failed.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
NavalgundRaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Wang,

As vm is already locked and not able to vMotion and power it on.

see the error at the top of esxi for proper resolution.

There are two ways in which you can resolve the issue

1. Go to the ESXi and check the CID and PID of the vm delta disk, if  parent and child hierarchical ID's are miss matching you have to manually edit to match

each PID and CID of deltas and it will 100% Power On and will become Normal.

2. If there  is any Backup tool such as Commvault ( Symantec or netback) taking you backup, there are know issues.in which you have to go to the ( Back Up ) CV agent server and disk connect the  vm disk from edit setting of the Backup server.

Please let me know if you have a further queries and if you need any document for the same.

Request: Please mark as correct or Helpful as it is encourages to  post out the answers to our vm community friends.

you can also call me on  ( +91 9535672123)

Regards

Raj Navalgund

banavalg@yahoo.com

Note: If you found this correct or answer useful please consider the use of the Correct buttons to award points. Regards Basavaraj.R Navalgund
Marthand
Contributor
Contributor

HI Raj

0 Kudos
henry_wang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
Prakas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can try creating snapshot and remove it using 'Delete All' option. This step will try to consolidate the disks.

It is also worth checking for any virtual machine locks in the location where the VM is residing.

0 Kudos
NavalgundRaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Marthand, Thank you and let us discuss and share help on line with this helpful site.Thanks

Note: If you found this correct or answer useful please consider the use of the Correct buttons to award points. Regards Basavaraj.R Navalgund
0 Kudos