VMware Cloud Community
vadm168
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Confused about where to run the vCenter Migration Assistant

I am testing vCenter migration from vCenter 6.0 on Windows Server 2008 R2 to VCSA 6.5. In the Migration Assistant, it says

at the top: Make sure the Migration Assistant is running on the source.

at the bottom: Do not run this installer from the source Windows Server.

pastedImage_0.png

and https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.0/com.vmware.vsphere.migration.doc/GUID-50A5705E-80E7-43...

"You must Copy and run the VMware Migration Assistant on your source vCenter Server or vCenter Single Sign-On to prepare it for migration from Windows to an appliance."

Should I launch the Migration Assistant from the source vCenter 6.0 or not?

Please clarify. Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GaelV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The solution is you have to mount the ISO on your Local PC (as a third part material) then launch the Migration Assistant.

If your source vCenter is Windows Based you have to launch the Precheck program on CMD.

Once, the migration will run automatically.

BE CAREFUL, you don't have to close the Migration Assistant in your computer until it finish.

Then you'll be able to set the source/destination vCenter information Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

11 Replies
vadm168
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upon closer look, I think it meant to run the Migration Assistant on the source vCenter and then launch the VCSA 6.5 installer from another host which connects to the Migration Assistant on the source vCenter...

0 Kudos
GaelV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The solution is you have to mount the ISO on your Local PC (as a third part material) then launch the Migration Assistant.

If your source vCenter is Windows Based you have to launch the Precheck program on CMD.

Once, the migration will run automatically.

BE CAREFUL, you don't have to close the Migration Assistant in your computer until it finish.

Then you'll be able to set the source/destination vCenter information Smiley Happy

alecprior
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, can i ask if you've completed this, did you runt he migration assistant on the vCenter server and the installer on another server?

0 Kudos
alecprior
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, similar to the question i've asked above.

Did you run the migration assistant on the vCenter server? You mention CMD, did you run it on another server and reference the vCenter server? I've tried running the migration assistant GUI on another server and it fails.

0 Kudos
GaelV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Before any new beginning you have to mind the following informations :

1) check if your windows version is compatible with the vCenter server version you want to update to => VMware Knowledge Base

2) Check if one of your ESXi has enough resources to host temporary 2 vCenter (the old one will be shutdown by the end of migration)

3) Reserve a temporary name and IP address (only if you want to update to VCSA (Linux)

Then,

1st step :

You have to mount the ISO on your actual/source vCenter server,

then go to the folder Migration Assistant on D:\ then run the "VMware-Migration-Assistant.exe". It will opens a CMD window, let the precheck run until it mentions that's ok you can migrate.

2nd step :

Once done, go to your PC or a third part device.

Mount the ISO on your computer then go to D:\ to the folder "vcsa-ui-installer\win32\" then lauch "installer.exe"

Let me know if it works Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
alecprior
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, i'll give it a go.

I made the error of running both the Migration Assistant and Installer on the vCenter server and when it shutdown both programs terminated. I'll run the Installer on a different server, i assume the Migration Assistant is no longer needed once the vCenter server shuts down.

0 Kudos
GaelV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Alright,

I advise you to let the Migration Assistant opened until the migration is completed because once the migration is done, it can ask you some informations.

0 Kudos
alecprior
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The problem there is that the vCenter server shuts down on it's own and closes the Migration Assistant at the same time. Am i missing something, should the vCenter server remain running? I thought the new Appliance took it's FQDN and IP address?

0 Kudos
GaelV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Indeed it's a normal behaviour.

Once it's done the VCSA appliance got the same FQDN and IP address as the source vCenter.

0 Kudos
alecprior
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ah, ok.

So when the 1st task "Copy data from source vCenter Server to target vCenter Server" is complete, the Migration Assistant has done it's job and shuts down with the source vCenter Server?

The installer then carries on with task 2 "Setup target vCenter Server and start services and then task 3 Import copied data to target vCenter Server.

Essentially the source is no longer needed as the target has all of the information it needs. Presumably from the Migration Assistant, which can now shut down.

0 Kudos
GaelV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So when the 1st task "Copy data from source vCenter Server to target vCenter Server" is complete, the Migration Assistant has done it's job and shuts down with the source vCenter Server?

=> you have to complete Stage 1 and 2 to exit the Migration Assistant (if it doesn't exit itself), take a look at those screenshots : Migration vCenter Windows vers PSC 6.5 | VroomBlog 

The installer then carries on with task 2 "Setup target vCenter Server and start services and then task 3 Import copied data to target vCenter Server.

=> yes

Essentially the source is no longer needed as the target has all of the information it needs. Presumably from the Migration Assistant, which can now shut down.

=> no is no longer needed but i advise you to keep it in backup for weeks if you encounter a big issue or if you need to restore it for any reason..

In any cases, if you can access to the VCSA web client it means the deployment is over, so you can close the migration assistant if it's not already.

0 Kudos