VMware Cloud Community
kdbinger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Configuring Local & Remote Syslog as well as a Persistent Scratch location

Looking for some understanding on all the various logging we can do with ESXi 5.5. U2.  Traditionally we have just used a remote host for our logging (i.e. Syslog.global.logHost = syslogserver.domain.com:514); however, I would like to also do logging on a dedicated NFS volume (i.e. Syslog.global.logDir) for each host.  Addtionally, I currently have a Persistent Scratch volume (on the same NFS volume) for each host.  In the ScratchConfig, I see a folder called "Log" and within it appears to be the same, or very similar, contents as that which I would find outputting to the syslog server. 

My question is two fold: Does the ScratchConfig have the same information as the Syslog information?  And secondly, are there any concerns if I create my Syslog.global.logDir and use the same Log location as ScratchConfig?

--Karl

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TedH256
Expert
Expert

great question - I just recently asked basically the same question - did you ever figure out a for sure answer?

0 Kudos
TedH256
Expert
Expert

I've just noticed, that the syslog.global.logdir location defaults to: [] /scratch/log

So if that's the case - if scratch is set to a datastore and folder (for example .locker/hostname), then the logs are set to that same datastore, in the /log folder, so: datastore/.locker/hostname/log would be where the logs are stored.

Does that seem correct?

0 Kudos