VMware Cloud Community
JohnDSW
Contributor
Contributor

Configure Linked mode in vCenter 6.0

Hello,

We have 2 vcenters at separate sites accessible via WAN.  Each vcenter is running vcenter 6.0u2 with an external PSC.  All of them are are the same domain.  How can I configure Enhanced Linked Mode?  There are many resources detailing this during the PSC installation, but I can't find anything to configure them after they've already been deployed and are in use.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

John

4 Replies
Camero
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

John,

It is not clear when you state "All of them are are the same domain".  Is this the Single Sign-On(SSO) domain, which is created while installing PSC.

Also it is not clear if both vCenter servers are using same or different external PSCs with same SSO domain and Site name.

A.  Assuming if both vCenter servers are configured to use the same external PSC and same domain (SSO domain, which is created while deploying PSC) then the vCenter servers are already in enhanced linked mode. You don't need to perform any operation. This configuration is the simplest form of enhanced linked mode explained in the following docs..

===

1. New features in vSphere 6.0 http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere/VMware-vSphere-Platform-Whats-New.pdf (refer to page 😎

2. Using Enhanced Linked Mode >> vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

===

B.  Assuming both vCenter Servers are configured to use different external PSC , but PSCs are joined( step -6 vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center  ) to the same SSO domain, Then also you don't need to perform any additional operation as the configuration enables the enhanced linked mode by default.

C.  Assuming both vCenters are configured to use different external PSCs with different SSO domains, then I don't see a direct solution which can convert the current deployment to enhanced linked mode ...

VC1 connected to PSC1 (SSO-domain1)

X<<<No link b/w PSCs>>>X

VC2 connected to PSC2 (SSO-domain2)

below are the issues in this model..

1. PSC are not replicating and are configured with own SSO Domain

2. Re-pointing across PSCs is supported in same domain and across sites from 6.0U1 : KB>> VMware KB: Repointing the VMware vCenter Server 6.0 between sites in a vSphere Domain

Even if we re-point vCenter server from one PSC to another one, the permissions, roles, tags configured with one PSC and used by the vCenter may not carry forward to the other PSC, as the PSCs were never replicating that info.

I would recommend to refer to following documentation before considering any deployment of vcenter server

1. Top 5 Tips When Considering vCenter Architecture Design in vSphere 6.0 http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vsphere/Top-5-Tips-When-Considering-vCenter-Architecture-De...

2. vCenter Server 6 Deployment Topologies and High Availability - VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

3.  VMware KB: VMware Platform Services Controller 6.0 FAQs

vSohill
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

I cam corss the same satation, I have two vCenter with two diferrent external PSC . Both PSCs have same SSO domain. You wrote "Then also you don't need to perform any additional operation as the configuration enables the enhanced linked mode by default."

How can I see both vCenters under the same UI  when I am using vSphere web client ?

0 Kudos
Camero
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VSohill,

Please make sure the PSC's are joined and the user has permissions on both the vCenter server.

My earlier reply..

>> Assuming both vCenter Servers are configured to use different external PSC , but PSCs are joined( step -6 vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center  ) to the same SSO domain, Then also you don't need to perform any additional operation as the configuration enables the enhanced linked mode by default.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

when you guys are saying same domai, it doesn't means the one you use by default (vsphere.local) when you install two Vcenter at two different sites but choose vsphere.local it will be a separate domain for both vcenters unless you use the second option> 'Join existing domain' and mention vsphere.local. Later it will query for the PSC holding vsphere.local configuratio. That will be a single domain for both Vcenter a.

0 Kudos