VMware Cloud Community
ThomasL1
Contributor
Contributor

Compatibility VCSA 6.5 to ESXi 7

Hello Community,

I have got VCSA 6.5 running in my environment and want to upgrade my ESX Hosts to vsphere 7 .

Is it possible to manage a ESX Host with vsphere 7 on a VCSA with version 6.5 or should I upgrade the VCSA to version 7 first?

Thanks for the helping.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
sanjayrmsi
Contributor
Contributor

Yes you can upgrade but you will need to upgrade DVS (Distributed Virtual Switch) first to at least 6.5 also if you have DVS configured. always vcenter will be upgrade first so first upgrade VCSA then esxi you can take upgrade advise from vmware as per your environment.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ThomasL1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer.

0 Kudos
sanjayrmsi
Contributor
Contributor

Firt upgrade VCSA and then ESXI

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This tool has the answer: https://interopmatrix.vmware.com/Interoperability

Enter vCenter Server and ESXi, it shows you which versions are compatible, in your case vCenter Server 6.5 can only manage ESXi hosts up to 6.5, so you need to upgrade vCenter Server first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RobertsD1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the step by step tutorial. Works like a charm! The solution worked for me thanks to the community and the members for the solution.

My Milestone Card

0 Kudos