VMware Cloud Community
balukr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cold Migration - Simultaneous how many servers

We have a customer moving servers from one host to another host within the same DC. We are doing a cold migration since there are some limitations at this customer and no SAN/network available so storage is all local drives on the host server. Though we can do vMotion now without SAN/network storage applications has some limitations too and customer wants to go by what is supported by the vendor and not go by what VMWare can support. Our question is when we do cold migration using vCenter by doing this option, Shutdown the guest-Right click- Migrate- host and datastore how many servers can we migrate simultaneously at one time is it only one server at a time or can we do more than one. Any help would be appreciated. I'm less familiar with all this on the vmware side so feel free to ask more info in case if I didn't provide to understand our scenario.

VCenter is 5.5

Host Esxi on source version is 5.1 and destination is 5.5.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
6 Replies
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There is a little math to be done but you can see the maximums here: https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc%2FGUID-25EA...

0 Kudos
balukr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response. I saw this document one thing we are not clear there is no straight option for cold migration. What option should we look for since we are not doing storage vmotion/ vmotion/ vmotion without storage? I'm sorry if I'm being naive but want to get things clear on this.

0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In that doc under the host limits it tells you that cold migrations are considered "provisioning operations", take a look under that category.

balukr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. So looks like we can do only one at a time and simultaneous is not possible. Am I correct with the math? I  really appreciate your help on this.

0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Nope it looks like a cold migration consumes 1 resource and each host has a limit of 8. So assuming that you are doing nothing else you should be able to perform 8 per host. We should not forget that that will put a load on the drives that might not be the most efficient but that is the max.

balukr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Huh..Now I understood that math. Thank you so much. This is going to save some time for us.

0 Kudos