VMware Cloud Community
Thash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cloning of Virtual Machine

Hi all

Please assist On Vcenter I`ve cloned a vitrual machine as it is, form one datastore to another but are on the same host, the challenge I want to use both machine for different purpose  but I can`t power on  both machne, it seems that there is a conflicts error about trust relationship when I power the other machine trying to change IP Address , what can I do to break the relationship between the VM`s.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gopanaboena
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

1. From the clone machine remove the NICs

2. Power on the VM

3. Change the VM name

4. Shutdown the VM

5. Attach the NICs

6. Power on the VM

7. Configure the IPs

8. Add into the Domain

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you cloned it, did you chose the option to Generate a new SID?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
gopanaboena
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

1. From the clone machine remove the NICs

2. Power on the VM

3. Change the VM name

4. Shutdown the VM

5. Attach the NICs

6. Power on the VM

7. Configure the IPs

8. Add into the Domain

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you clone it, and you go through the wizard, use Customize using the Customization Wizard, and on the last screen you need to check-mark the Generate New SID option.  This will run it through sysprep and you won't have that issue.NewSID.jpg

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
RaviMV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

From the windows end, are you change the hostname ? if it in the Domain. Can you Disjoin and Re-join to the domain and try it out..

greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you clone, unless you specify that it should be in the domain OR don't sysprep, the new VM will NOT be a member of the domain, just a workgroup.

0 Kudos
RaviMV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

He might have first server configured with all the necessary required then he might cloned the machine. Normal what you were is saying correct. we follow the same. but I thought he configured initially first server inside of configured for the second server.

0 Kudos
RaviMV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

He might have first server configured with all the necessary required then he might cloned the machine. Normal what you were is saying correct. we follow the same. but I thought he configured initially first server inside of configured for the second server.

0 Kudos
balarajugopinat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you clone it, and you go through the Customization wizard , use Customize using the Customization Wizard, and on the last screen you need to check-mark the Generate New SID option.  This will run it through sysprep and you won't have that issue.

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

balarajugopinathbalarajugopinath, did you literally copy and paste my post from earlier?

0 Kudos
mohdhanifk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Once clone is completed make sure clone VM is in powered off state.

Right click on the clone vm,Edit settings, Hardware,Click on network adapter,Device status ,uncheck connected and connect at power on check boxes.

Power on the Clone VM, remove the ip settings which was replicated from original system, assign the ip settings available for the new vm,

Reconnect the VM to network by clicking connected and connect at power on check boxes.

Try to ping DNS server, rejoin the domain.

KSethi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Thash,

When you deployed the VM through cloning (In order to avoid any software and network related conflicts we need to customize the guest os with the help of custom specification manager).

So Go to home from their create a new custom specifications and while deploying your VM through cloning tick the option to customize the guest os and use the same custom spec you have recently created which will ensure you are avoiding any software and network related conflicts.

Kindly mark this as useful/correct answer if this answers your query.

Rgds

Kanishk

0 Kudos
mohdhanifk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Were you able to figure out the issue ?

0 Kudos
Thash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All

Thankx a lot Guyz you saved me; I`m sorted now.......Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy. by the time I was cloning I didn`t change the SID

0 Kudos
RaviMV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great ! Thank you

0 Kudos