VMware Cloud Community
Arniczek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cloning VM

I have vCenter 7U1. I want to clone VM. for test use

Orginal VM is Linux and have static IP there is a datatabase which i connect.

If I clone VM what happend to IP and mac. Must I change it within OS /LINUX/ or vsphere /edit vm/ ?

I want to connect to clonned database. / OS/I think it must have different IP.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pdirmann01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If the vNIC in the VM is auto to "Automatic" for its MAC, then it will generate a new MAC upon cloning it, but the IP address will stay the same. You have a few options:

1) During the clone, choose the "Customize this virtual machine's hardware" option and disconnect the vNIC (do it at Power Up also). Then, after it boots you can log in and modify the IP address and re-connect the NIC.

2) Create a Customization Specification that applies the IP address. During the clone, choose "Customize the operating system", choose your Customization Spec, and enter the IP information that will get apply post-clone.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
pdirmann01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If the vNIC in the VM is auto to "Automatic" for its MAC, then it will generate a new MAC upon cloning it, but the IP address will stay the same. You have a few options:

1) During the clone, choose the "Customize this virtual machine's hardware" option and disconnect the vNIC (do it at Power Up also). Then, after it boots you can log in and modify the IP address and re-connect the NIC.

2) Create a Customization Specification that applies the IP address. During the clone, choose "Customize the operating system", choose your Customization Spec, and enter the IP information that will get apply post-clone.