VMware Cloud Community
MartinE11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cloned VM gets corrupt over and over again.

Hello

I am currently facing a strange problem. If I clone our GoldenImage VM (used for View Deployment) it gets corrupt.

The cloned VM (Win7) mostly starts successfully untill I start clicking around a little bit and it detects some missing Files. Some programs are unable to run and sometimes I get error messages that some .dll files were missing.

After restarting the cloned VM mostly check disk runs (CHKDSK) and it detects a lot of missing and corrupt files.

So the whole cloned VM is very faulty and unstable.

I tried to clone this VM different times but its always corrupt.

Someone got an Idea whats wrong there?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
crawfordm
Expert
Expert

Which version of ESXi are you using?  Sounds like you need to check the drives on your host.  Is the GoldenImage on the same datastore as the clone?  I have tried cloning to a different datastore?

------------------------------------------------------------------ If you found this answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Thanks, Marc Crawford CCNA, MCSE, MCTS, A+, Net+, Sec +, VCA-WM, VCA-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-NV, VCP-NV, VCP-DCV, VCP, VCAP5-DCA http://gplus.to/marccrawford http://blog.marccrawford.com @uber_tech_geek
0 Kudos
MartinE11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

Thanks for trying to help me.

It’s ESX 5.5.

Yes they are on the same LUN.  The original VM works perfectly. I haven’t tested to clone it to a different datastore yet. I am gonna test this tomorrow but I not really expect it to be better.

VMWare mentioned that the problem is may caused by snapshots that are on this VM, but I never had any cloning issues with Snapshots on VMs.

0 Kudos
MartinE11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

I try to push this a little bit.

Its really really really strange.

I tried cloning to a different LUN and it is currupt. Also I tried Cloning a VM without Snapshots and it's failing to.

I can check if the cloned VM is healthy by running chkdsk. Sometimes it cleanes tousand of wrong sectors/files. Sometimes there are only a bunch of files corrupt.

What I found out is that if there are multiple other process running on vCenter the Image seems to be more corrupt then when there are no operations.

Someone got an idea?

0 Kudos