VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

Clone vm and reside new one on esxi host without SAN

Dear all

Hi

i have vcenter 6.0 that contain 3 esxi hosts that all of these hosts are connected to SAN

now i added a n ew esxi server to vCenter that there is not any connection between this host and SAN storage now

i want to know can i clone from one of my vm that is reside on SAN storage and put new clone on new esxi host that is not connect to SAN?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Majzoub69
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Baber,

yes you can do it, the destination host can be any host residing in the vCenter inventory.

Regards

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

destination host not connect to SAN storage

actually i want clone a vm from shared storage to other esxi host that don't connect to SAN and just have local disk

clone from esxi host with shared storage to esxi host without shared storage and use local disk

is that possiible ?

because during this clone it get error

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, this is possible, but you haven't shown any screenshots or mentioned what error you get so we have no way of knowing why it's failing. You need to ensure the VM you want to clone is running on the ESXi host that owns the local storage. You also must select that compute host in the clone wizard. Once you've done both of these things, the clone should succeed. If not, need more information.

0 Kudos
Ganeshpal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Baber,

1) As you said you added 4th host in existing vcentre and that is not part of vsan .

2) you can clone of VM (part of vsan) to local data store of 4th host (which is not part of vsan).

3) Please share error log or snap shot for further troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Ganeshpal

1) As you said you added 4th host in existing vcentre and that is not part of vsan .

2) you can clone of VM (part of vsan) to local data store of 4th host (which is not part of vsan).

OP said nothing about using vSAN.

Also, there is no need to reiterate what has been said previously by other users, which is basically the entirety of your response.

0 Kudos