VMware Cloud Community
arushanm
Contributor
Contributor

Citrix Desktop machines unavailable on VCenter 5.1

Hello Experts,

We are doing Citrix VDI Testing on Cisco UCS Blade. We are going to find out the performance and scalability of the UCS Blade using Vmware 5.1 as the Hypervisor, and Citrix for Provisioning the machines, and login VSI to find the maximium capacity of that Blade.

I have installed Vcenter 5.1 with default database, applied license.

I have created the Provisioning machines using citrix VDI. First i have deployed Xen Desktop 5.6, created the catalog with 50 machines initially, and then created the desktop group.

After creating the desktop group, all 50 machines are powered on in the vcenter.

But when i updated my catalog from 50 machines to 200 machines, not all machines are powered on in the Vcenter. Instead of 200 machines powered on only 50 machines are powered on.

Is this due to the vcenter capacitywith the default database?

or should i install SQL database, and then install vCenter to have the capacity to hold more than 200 machines.

Experts request you to help me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

as far as i knwo it is not a hard coded limit in the sql express. Only performance issue. But if you want to start 200 machines, i would recomend building a sql (no express) server for testing purpose.

Are you recieving any error message during a power on of a vm?

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

There is a limit in how many VM:s that can be powered on at the same time, could be that.

XenDesktop is not checking this but are just telling vCenter to power them on without verifying this.

If I remember correctly there are some KB-articles at Citrix that talks about this at how to set the max number of desktops poweron that will be issued from the DDC.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos