VMware Cloud Community
Subhayaryan
Contributor
Contributor

Child VMs time zone changed automatically with local machine time zone

Hi Team,we have configured CST time zone on Parent VMs & but on child VMs/Guest VMs time zone automatically changed to Local machine timin i.e IST.

Please let us know,we want to configured the CST timezone permananently.

Regards,

Subhay

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

What do you mean parent VM's? Do you mean the ESX hosts? What versions of ESX/ESXi if so?

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Set your local desktop from where you are connecting using vSphere client to CST time zone

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Here is the deal. If this is an ESX Classic - you can set a time zone, If this is any version of ESXi, then the timezone is always set to UTC

1. Check if the timezone on your host (ESX) is set correctly

2. In the guests, open a console or take an RDP session and check the timezone. If the same is set to IST, you will need to manually change the same to CST!

3. In VMware tools, you have an option to synchonise time with the local (ESX). Ensure that is Unset and you use an external (inhouse or public) NTP server to sync time

4. The time you see on the ESX host if you open a vSphere Client to the host is the host time translated to your system time. So if you want host time to show up in CST, change your local desktop (from where you have opened the vSphere Client Session) to CST!

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
Subhayaryan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for providing deep understanding on this.

1. Now we are using 8 ESX Server with ESX 4.1 & Vcenter 5.0,when we check ESX server  Time Settings from IST time zone machine,it is showing IST time Zone Configured on ESX Server & when check from CST timezone machine,it is showing CST Time Zone.

2. Host Machine(Parent VM) time zone has configured CST.

3. In VM tool ,Time Sync between Virtual Machine /ESX Server in Uncheck,howvere i test option check also,but no luck.

4. But when our Offshore team access XXX Pool from India,his/her Virtual Machine time zone automatically change to IST time zone ,acording to local Machine time zone.However for Onshore Team it is showing CST time Zone,as they are accessing Virtual Machine from CST time zone local machine.

Action Item: For XXX Pool i want  CST time zone fixed/locked,it does not change with Local machine time zone i.e IST time zone,please help me out on this

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Try Windows RDP

0 Kudos
Subhayaryan
Contributor
Contributor

RDP option is it possible for all users.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Well ya, as long as you can connect to the network, and since this would connect without the vSphere Client, the timezone would remain the same. The idea is to avoid using vSphere Client which translates time based on the local desktop you connect from

0 Kudos