VMware Cloud Community
HelgeL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Changing vcsa domain

Hi every one,

I want to change the domain name from vcenter.somedomain.local to vcenter.newdomain.com

We are currently setting up workload management for Tanzu. I have run into many snags. The latest is the domain name:

We have a vcenter server (vcenter.somedomain.local). This is not recommended config (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/83623) and the process fails with this error:

Unable to resolve the host vcenter.somedomain.local on control plane VM 322215deec8e7c51fcf58ca1c02e58aa. The hostname ends with the '.local' top level domain, which requires 'local' to be included in the management DNS search domains.

I have seen many posts on changing the name of the vcsa, but not the domain itself other than deploying a new vcenter server and moving the ESXi hosts.

This is not in itself a big problem, but we are using distributed switch (as required by HaProxy). Moving an ESXi with vDS (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/83623) demands that I create a standard switch on each ESXi host and move everything over to that, move the ESXi to the new vcenter and create vDS again. Doing this we also have to migrate all VMs from the vDS to the standard switch, first, and then back again afterwards. Changing from standard to distributed switch gave some of our VMs problems. Especially Microsoft clusters, witch ideally needs to be failed over to another node before the network change. If the node is running the cluster it fails during the network migration. And failing over creates downtime witch we of course do not want.

Is there an easier way to change the domain name of the vcenter server?

Regards
Helge

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HelgeL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ended up creatin a new vcenter server and moving all the ESXi hosts over to it. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
HelgeL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately this example does not apply to me. The link explains how to change the name of the server, not the domain itself. oldvc.cloudlab.com to newvc.cloudlab.com. I want to change vcenter.domain.local to vcenter.domain.com.

All the examples I have seen using this functionality only changes the server name and not the domain.

0 Kudos
HelgeL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ended up creatin a new vcenter server and moving all the ESXi hosts over to it. 

0 Kudos