VMware Cloud Community
golfradio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changing swap file location at cluster

Greetings all...

My company is currently transitioning both compute and storage platforms (I'll call them "old" and "new").  We're running a single vCenter 6.5 u3.  The new cluster's swap location is on the old storage and we wish to change the swap file location from "datastore specified by host" to "virtual machine directory" because the old storage is going away.  All hosts in both clusters see all datastores.  I cannot create any new datastores on the new storage until the extra storage is installed.

Question: Any effect on the vm's if I go into the new cluster configuration and change it?  How about the host settings?  I don't believe I will have to change host settings but would like confirmation.

Thanks for your input,

MarkJ

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although it should be sufficient to disable the swap file location setting in the cluster, I'd suggest that you also change the settings for the host to avoid possible confusion in the future, if someone looks at these settings. The new settings take effect for the VM's once they are powered on, or power-cycled.

I assume that you have sufficient free disk space in the VMs' datastores for the newly created swapfiles.

André

0 Kudos