VMware Cloud Community
massimofabbri
Contributor
Contributor

Change ISCSI block size

Hi,

totally new to vmware, so please forgive me.

Scenario:

Vsphere 4

2 hosts

production VMs are on an IBM ISCSI storage (3 partitions: IBMSTORAGE01, IBMSTORAGE02, IBMSTORAGE03)

backup on Buffalo ISCSI storage (3 partitons: Tera-nas-01, Tera-nas-02, Tera-nas-03) using Veeam.

some VMs from IBMSTORAGE01 are currently backupped in Tera-nas-01. No problem.

I  added in IBMSTORAGE03 a new VM that is 500GB in size. I want to backup it in  tera-nas03. The  new VM cannot be backupped because block size of tera-nas-03 is 1MB.

Tha question: how do I change block size for nas2?

I suppose:

- in vcenter go to Configuration->Storage

- right click on nas2 and choose delete (nas2 is actually empty)

Is this correct?

But after that? How do I re-create the new storage?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Welcome to the Communities..

If the datastore is empty and then you could just format and re-cerate the new datastore with new block size.

The option which you said for deleting is correct

To re-add datastore follow this section Create VMFS Datastore

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
massimofabbri
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I already knew the documentation article you suggested; my problem is point 5: "Select a device to use for your datastore and click Next".

How do I choose the correct device? Will the wizard show me only the formatted space of the Buffalo storage or do I have to specify it by IP or any other identificator?

Another question about the delete of the actual datastore: Buffalo's Tera-nas-03 (the partition I'd like to reformat) is empty, but is a datastore listed in both my hosts.

It makes no difference which host I select to right click and delete, or do I have to do the procedure for both hosts?

(maybe it's a silly question, but cluster is in production, I have no experience in Vmware and I really want to be careful)

Thanks

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Buffalo's Tera-nas-03 (the partition I'd like to reformat) is empty, but is a datastore listed in both my hosts.

Delete on one of the host, once deleted a rescan will be initiated automatically and you will datastore is missing on both host

Select a device to use for your datastore and click Next".How do I choose the correct device

Only the unformatted lun would be visible

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
massimofabbri
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

I'll try in the next days.

0 Kudos