VMware Cloud Community
Tusharp99
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot unmount or Delete Datastore LUNS

Hi,

I am in a situations where I need some help. I have ESXI 5 running Vsphere 5 with 10 Blades and two clusters, running about 100 + VM's.

I have shutdown/decommissioned some VM's and want to release the SAN space back to be used somewhere else...

However when I try to Unmount or Delete the luns I get following message

Remove datastore XXXXXXXXXXX The vSphere HA agent on host 'XXXXXXXXXXX' failed to quiesce file activity on datastore  '/vmfs/volumes/5010-56cd-f941c-2e5-66db-78e7d1f974-2b'. To proceed with the operation to unmount or remove a datastore, ensure that the datastore is accessible, the host is reachable and its vSphere HA agent is running.

I have tried to couple of suggestions I found on the web, Right Click on the each cluster | Edit Settings | Click on Datastore Heartbeating | then selected Option " Select only from my preferred Datastores, Checked all the Datastores except the ones I am trying to unmount/delete.

Still no luck...

All the help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ScreamingSilenc

Found these two links stating your problem hope it might be helpful

KB: VMware KB: vSphere HA and FT Error Messages

Unmounting datastore fails due to vSphere HA?

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please check if still any VM is utilizing that datastore. Since you want to permanently remove the LUN from the ESXi hsots, then If nothing is running from that datastore then try to delete it directly by right clicking on LUN and select delete.

Rescan the datastore once you delete the LUN.

Regards,

KC

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

One more thing you can try is restarting your hostd and try deleting the LUN

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Login directly to one of the Host with Vsphere client. configuration -- storage -- Try un mounting it from here and it should work from us.

0 Kudos
Tusharp99
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks will try some of the options

Couple of more thing, when I remove the VM, I log on through Vsphere clients,  I right click on the host and select the option Delete from Disk.

Should I be deleting the VM through web clients..

It used to work in older version of ESX file...

Is there a special process of deleting the VM and then releasing and deleting the Storage....with ESXi 5

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos