VMware Cloud Community
mechgt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot type (using keyboard) on vSphere Web Client

This is very strange:

I just deployed a new vSphere 6.0 VCSA and am using the webclient (currently Firefox on Win 10) to configure the system.  When I create a new object, there are dialog boxes that require me to input data; for example "New Distributed Port Group" prompts me to input the port group name.  The problem is that the web client is not receiving my keystrokes.  The workaround is everytime I run into a dialog box requiring keystrokes (such as inputting an object name, etc.) I have to click the Windows start button (changing focus away from the browser window) then re-click on the input box and begin typing and it works normally.... until the next dialog box is displayed where I have to click away, then return to finish entering data.  I've seen this before on another completely separate system but never chased down the solution.

Anyone else seen this and have a recommendation?

Tags (1)
38 Replies
Danooo
Contributor
Contributor

H,

I have exact same problem, using VCSA 6.5 with linked mode and external PSC. I have used migration tool to migrate one of my VC servers from Windows based VC to VCSA 6.5. Once updated I cannot type in Web Client, hope that someone from VMware will look for that as you are not the only one who has this problem. Thank you for a tip with pointing to other object which allow to skip this obvious bug.

simonhess93
Contributor
Contributor

I am also affected by the exact same issue. However, it only occurs to me when I am using Firefox to access the web client. It works fine with other browsers. Did you ever solve this issue?

0 Kudos
gwguruman
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with Firefox 53 under Win 10.  Click away and back, is a band-aid fix.  What is the permanent fix?

0 Kudos
Karthanon
Contributor
Contributor

Also getting same error after Firefox upgraded to 55.0.3.

It's an annoying error, that's for sure. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

0 Kudos
vegamite
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings!

I started seeing this issue over this past weekend (Sept. 2, 2017) as well.

I am on a computer running Windows 10 with latest Firefox and Chrome, both of which no longer allow me to type in the input box to login.

I am noticing this on both the vSphere Web Client (vCenter) and View Administrator (Horizon) web clients.

Just tried accessing with the Edge browser and it works fine . . . ugh.

Everything still works on a Windows 7 computer so I am thinkin' this be a Windows 10 issue.

No solution here . . . just more clues and shared frustration.  :smileyconfused:

Peace . . . Vince

0 Kudos
nparas5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you installed "Client Integration Plugin" in the bottom when you open WebClient logon screen?

If not after please install, there are chances it works after plugin installation. Just a Trick

0 Kudos
SteveGalbincea
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Same issue here in Firefox on Windows 10. Only solution for now is to click another window and then click back.

GSXRMAN
Contributor
Contributor

I too have same issue as rest and it started just a few days ago, additionally the integrated plugin now also appears at logon however able to move files into Datastore, so thats a bit misleading.

Always figured if plugin errors then that wont work.  Really strange that after all these years we still have issues conforming to choice of at min three browser flavors, IE, Chrome, Firefox.

Anyone figure this out?

JMachieJr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The ongoing browser issues with the vSphere client are ridiculous. Chrome will no longer work all of a sudden, and Firefox I have this very same issue trying to type anything. When will VMware listen and go back to the thick client that actually works? The web client has had issues since the day they announced it.

VCP-DCV | MCP | Linux+ Twitter: @James_Machie_Jr LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jmachiejr
0 Kudos
mechgt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've now seen this in both the vCSA and Windows based vCenter Server, and multiple versions of Firefox.  There's very clearly a bug here that needs to be on someone's issue list.  The 'cannot type' issue appears to be limited to Firefox, however Chrome has it's issues as well (Flash issues and/or lack of Client Integration functionality).

0 Kudos
NeilP
Contributor
Contributor

Same here..  Typed text does not show up until I click on the window I am typing in..

Using firefox (only just fixed an issue with the most recent version of Flash).

I fear these ridiculous web client issues are going to continue - too many browsers (Firefox, IE/Edge, Chrome etc), Operating systems and problems with the many updates to these browsers that VMware has no oversight of.. Add Flash/HTML5 to the mix and you wonder who on earth made the decision to move to a web client..

msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you check if you are using the Firefox 64 bit or 32 bit browsers?

I believe this is observed on FF 64 bit as the flash is 32 bit which is used. BTW, VMware is completely trying to move to hmtl5 and plan to deprecate flash based webclient.

Goodbye, vSphere Web Client! - VMware vSphere Blog

Thanks,

MS

Alexnc
Contributor
Contributor

You can use the integrated Windows virtual keyboard as a workaround.

forcefullpower
Contributor
Contributor

I too am having this problem has anyone found a solution or is vmware just ignoring the problem.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you are using 64 bit browsers, you will face this problem. Flash player is 32 bit and the browser is 64 bit. Kindly try with 32 bit and it should work fine.

Thanks,

MS

GBartsch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah,

I don't see a current internal KB on this, but I can tell you all that using a 32bit browser seems to work in my case.

I've been having issues where the screen will simply render black when we use 64bit browsers. Switch to IE 32bit, and it works fine.

I'll dig around a big more.

0 Kudos
GoldenWarrior
Contributor
Contributor

We are also having the exact same problem with vCenter 6.5. The HTML5 client works, but we can't do everything in it so some settings are pretty much stuck until there's a fix for this. Flash has a tendency to crash in Chrome and IE and Edge break just by looking at them funny so basically until VMware gets everything working in HTML5 or do what everyone wants and brings back the thick client, we're at the mercy of which browser will work today.

RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

You need to repoint external PSC by command line then reboot VC and PSC

VMware Knowledge Base

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
DCARichM
Contributor
Contributor

Yes! How annoying is this 'feature'!?

There are several people in my office, all with varying problems with the Web Client. My Firefox works but Chrome does not (Flash problem apparently) yet others in the office are using Chrome successfully (same version of Chrome and same Flash version - go figure!) My IE used to work but now does not, two days later. I'm not convinced this is a Windows 10 thing...yet.

vSphere Web Client Compatibility Problems - Ongoing

Anyway, your workaround is working so thanks for that!

0 Kudos