VMware Cloud Community
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Cannot storage vmotion and convert virtual RDM to vmdk on NFS

One of my customers has a number of virtual RDM's connected to a vSphere 4.1 host managed by vCenter 4.1. I'm trying to convert the RDM's to vmdk's via storage vmotion on a NFS datastore.

Within the advanced section of the migration wizard I select the disk that is an RDM and choose the destination NFS datastore however receive an error of "virtual hard disk is a mapped direct-access LUN which is not supported on the datastore" when clicking on "Next" on the wizard.

If I select a VMFS volume for the RDM and click Next on the wizard I can choose the destination format (which will allow me to convert the RDM to a vmdk if I select the correct option).

My understanding is that I should be able to convert the RDM to a vmdk on a NFS vol - any comments/ideas?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My understanding is that I should be able to convert the RDM to a vmdk on a NFS vol - any comments/ideas?

Storage vMotion of RDM disk to NFS is not supported

From VMware KB1005241

Virtual disks can be converted to thick-provisioned or thin-provisioned  disks during migration as long as the destination is not an NFS  datastore.

From the Technical Documentation

Virtual machine disks must be in persistent mode or be raw device mappings (RDMs). For physical and virtual  compatibility mode RDMs, you can migrate the mapping file only. For  virtual compatibility mode RDMs, you can use the vSphere Client or the  vSphere Web Client to convert to thick-provisioned or thin-provisioned  disks during migration as long as the destination is not an NFS  datastore. You cannot use the svmotion command to perform this conversion.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos