VMware Cloud Community
rugman66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot reboot vCenter 6.5 appliance

Hello,

I would like to reboot a vCenter 6.5 appliance logged in as administrator@vsphere.local using Administration/System Configuration/Nodes/ clock on node and click on reboot. The

following error occures.

The "Reboot node" operation failed for the entity with the following error message.

Unable to authorize user

This account has full priviledtes, and this is the process I found in VMware docs for vCenter appliance 6.x. Any special configuration required?

Thank you

-John

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This should actually work. Is this a new installation? If not, when did you install it?

As an alternative, you may reboot the appliance from the Management Console (on port 5480).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This should actually work. Is this a new installation? If not, when did you install it?

As an alternative, you may reboot the appliance from the Management Console (on port 5480).

André

0 Kudos
rugman66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This install is maybe 2 months old, and is VC appliance 6.5 with default configurations. Using that port I get a 404. I

I don't understand why the local admin account with full privileges is not authorized to reboot, enable SSH or local login, and

other system config options. 

Thanks

-John

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You get a "404" when you try to open https://vcsa:5480 ? That's strange.

Just as a try (may not make much sense though). Login the the Web Client, and disable the password expiry. The default is 90 days -> set it to "0" (never expires).

Then try to reboot again.

André

0 Kudos
rugman66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My bad, I did not use HTTPS in the URL. I am able to bring up the appliance management console, and login as root. Then I was able to

successful reboot the VCenter host.

Thanks for the assist André

-John

0 Kudos
Joffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I experienced the same myself just now, on a vCenter Appliance single node (not HA) - v6.5 Update 1c.

Restart via AMUI was fine, but strange it didn't work from vCenter directly. Maybe it works again after a reboot. I'm anyway planning upgrading to 6.5 Update 1e.

0 Kudos