VMware Cloud Community
T4nkcommander
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot import OVA - no "Retry with lower specs" option exists

Trying to import ova 1 files that were exported from VirtualBox. Unfortunately, the following error continually occurs:

Line 21: Missing child element "VirtualHardwareSection".

The help article says I should try to retry with lower specifications, but that option does not seem to exist in 7.0.2. See picture below. 

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please extract the .ovf file from the .ova package, and attach it to your next reply (compressed as a .zip archive).

André

0 Kudos
T4nkcommander
Contributor
Contributor

See attached. 

I've tried a number of different machines at this point - this is the smallest, so I used it for testing. OVA .9 would not read, OVA 1 gives the error in my original post.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I don't have access to a vCenter Server right now, but I tried the import in VMware Workstation, and after clicking the Retry button the import worked as expected.

What you may try is to extract the whole OVA package, and replace the VirtualSystemType from "virtualbox-2.2" to e.g. "vmx-16".
Note that you may need to delete the .mf file from the extracted files after editing the .ovf file.

André

T4nkcommander
Contributor
Contributor

Well, that moved our error down a few lines:

Line 66: OVF hardware element 'ResourceType' with instance ID '5': No support for the virtual hardware device type '35'.

From the OVF

Line 66:

<Item>
<rasd:AddressOnParent>3</rasd:AddressOnParent>
<rasd:AutomaticAllocation>false</rasd:AutomaticAllocation>
<rasd:Caption>sound</rasd:Caption>
<rasd:Description>Sound Card</rasd:Description>
<rasd:ElementName>sound</rasd:ElementName>
<rasd:InstanceID>5</rasd:InstanceID>
<rasd:ResourceSubType>ensoniq1371</rasd:ResourceSubType>
<rasd:ResourceType>35</rasd:ResourceType>
</Item>

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From the error message, I assume that removing this section should help.

André

T4nkcommander
Contributor
Contributor

That did the trick. I have successfully imported two different machines by doing the above two items.

Now to get VCenter Server to actually talk....

0 Kudos