VMware Cloud Community
ap296n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot filter Datastores by Cluster using PowerCLI

Hi, I am trying to retrieve Datastore information and I need the cluster the Datastore is associated with. I for, whatever reason, cannot use clusters in the searchroot parameter as such:

$cluster = Get-Cluster -Name "MyCluster"

Get-View -ViewType Datastore -SearchRoot $cluster.id

This does not return anything for me, where as if I substitute the cluster for a datacenter, I get all of the Datastores in the datacenter, although I need the cluster as well. So I found another way to get the cluster, through the host using this code snippet I whipped up:

$vmhosts = $datastore.Host

$cluster = Get-View -id (Get-View -Id $vmhosts[0].Key | select -Property Parent).Parent | Select -Property Name

Write-Host $cluster.Name

...where $datastore is a Datastore view. This does give me the cluster name, although the script runs extremely slow and takes a very long time to run. Our environment contains several thousand Datastores so you can see why the runtime of the script is a big concern for me. Here is the full function to give context to my issue.

===========================================================================================

# Goes Through Entire vCenter and gets individual SAN data

Function Get-AllSANData($vcenter) {

$WarningPreference = "SilentlyContinue"

Connect-VIServer $vcenter -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -ErrorVariable ConnectError | Out-Null

write-host "Extracting SAN data from" $vcenter "..."

write-host "This will take some time, stop staring at me and go do something else..."

# Loop through each Datacenter in the vCenter

ForEach ($datacenter in Get-Datacenter) {

# Create Datastore view and Loop through each datastore in the cluster

ForEach ($datastore in Get-View -ViewType Datastore -SearchRoot $datacenter.id -Filter @{"Summary.Type"="VMFS"}) {

$vmhosts = $datastore.Host # This is an Array of all Hosts associated with this SAN Volume

$hostcount = $vmhosts.Length # Num of Hosts associated with this SAN SAN Volume

if ($hostcount -lt 2) { continue } # Ignore Boot Volumes

$lunsize = $datastore | %{[decimal]::round($_.Summary.Capacity / 1GB)} # Capacity in Bytes converted to GB

$free = $datastore | %{[decimal]::round($_.Summary.FreeSpace / 1GB)} # Free Space in Bytes converted to GB

$type = $datastore | %{$_.Summary.Type} # We already know that type will be VMFS but just in case

$majorversion = $datastore | %{$_.Info.Vmfs.MajorVersion} # Major VMFS Version (5.blah = 5) you get the idea

$cluster = Get-View -id (Get-View -Id $vmhosts[0].Key | select -Property Parent).Parent | Select -Property Name

write-host $datacenter . $cluster.Name . $datastore.Name . $lunsize . $free . $type . $majorversion . $hostcount

}

}

Disconnect-VIServer $vcenter -Force -Confirm:$false | Out-Null

write-host "Done with " $vcenter

}

===========================================================================================

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ap296n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found a solution some time ago. Thanks for following up. This is what I ended up doing:

Function Get-AllSANData($vcenter, $fileName, $MyDirectory) {

Connect-VIServer $vcenter -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -ErrorVariable ConnectError | Out-Null

write-host "This will take some time, stop staring at me and go do something else..."

# Loop through each Datacenter in the vCenter - MoRef is the ID

ForEach ($datacenter in Get-View -ViewType Datacenter | Select -Property Name,MoRef) {

# Loop through each Cluster in the Datacenter

ForEach ($cluster in Get-View -ViewType ClusterComputeResource -SearchRoot $datacenter.MoRef | Select -Property Name,Datastore) {

ForEach ($datastore in $cluster.Datastore) {

$ds = Get-View -Id $datastore | Select -Property Name,Host,Summary,Info # Create Datastore view with current Datastore in Cluster

$hostcount = $ds.Host.Length # Num of Hosts associated with this SAN Volume

$type = $ds | %{$_.Summary.Type} # The type needs to be VMFS, not interesting in NAS or any other type

# Don't filter for VDT Recons - need NFS Storage as well

if ($type -ne "VMFS") { continue }

$lunsize = $ds | %{[decimal]::round($_.Summary.Capacity / 1GB)} # Capacity in Bytes converted to GB

$free = $ds | %{[decimal]::round($_.Summary.FreeSpace / 1GB)} # Free Space in Bytes converted to GB

$uncommitted = $ds | %{[decimal]::round($_.Summary.Uncommitted / 1GB)} # Uncommitted Storage in Bytes converted to GB

$provisioned = ($lunsize - $free + $uncommitted)

$majorversion = $ds | %{$_.Info.Vmfs.MajorVersion} # Major VMFS Version (5.blah = 5) you get the idea

$upperVC = $vcenter.ToString().ToUpper()

$upperCL = $cluster.Name.ToString().ToUpper()

$upperDS = $ds.Name.ToString().ToUpper()

write-host $datacenter.Name . $upperCL . $upperDS . $lunsize . $provisioned . $free . $type . $majorversion . $hostcount

# Output Data to CSV (file is located in same directory that the script runs from)

$record = $datacenter.Name+","+$upperCL+","+$upperDS+","+$lunsize+","+$provisioned+","+$free+","+$type+","+$majorversion+","+$hostcount

$record | Out-File -Append $MyDirectory\SANpulls\$fileName -Encoding ASCII

}

}   

}

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
michaelbrux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you still looking for a solution?  If so can you clarify what you are trying to do?   

this code doesn't work " Get-View -ViewType Datastore -SearchRoot $cluster.id"  because datastores do not have a direct relationship with clusters.  They are configured to hosts that can be in multiple clusters

0 Kudos
ap296n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found a solution some time ago. Thanks for following up. This is what I ended up doing:

Function Get-AllSANData($vcenter, $fileName, $MyDirectory) {

# Loop through each Datacenter in the vCenter - MoRef is the ID

ForEach ($datacenter in Get-View -ViewType Datacenter | Select -Property Name,MoRef) {

# Loop through each Cluster in the Datacenter

ForEach ($cluster in Get-View -ViewType ClusterComputeResource -SearchRoot $datacenter.MoRef | Select -Property Name,Datastore) {

ForEach ($datastore in $cluster.Datastore) {

$ds = Get-View -Id $datastore | Select -Property Name,Host,Summary,Info # Create Datastore view with current Datastore in Cluster

$hostcount = $ds.Host.Length # Num of Hosts associated with this SAN Volume

$type = $ds | %{$_.Summary.Type} # The type needs to be VMFS, not interesting in NAS or any other type

# Don't filter for VDT Recons - need NFS Storage as well

if ($type -ne "VMFS") { continue }

$lunsize = $ds | %{[decimal]::round($_.Summary.Capacity / 1GB)} # Capacity in Bytes converted to GB

$free = $ds | %{[decimal]::round($_.Summary.FreeSpace / 1GB)} # Free Space in Bytes converted to GB

$uncommitted = $ds | %{[decimal]::round($_.Summary.Uncommitted / 1GB)} # Uncommitted Storage in Bytes converted to GB

$provisioned = ($lunsize - $free + $uncommitted)

$majorversion = $ds | %{$_.Info.Vmfs.MajorVersion} # Major VMFS Version (5.blah = 5) you get the idea

$upperVC = $vcenter.ToString().ToUpper()

$upperCL = $cluster.Name.ToString().ToUpper()

$upperDS = $ds.Name.ToString().ToUpper()

write-host $datacenter.Name . $upperCL . $upperDS . $lunsize . $provisioned . $free . $type . $majorversion . $hostcount

# Output Data to CSV (file is located in same directory that the script runs from)

$record = $datacenter.Name+","+$upperCL+","+$upperDS+","+$lunsize+","+$provisioned+","+$free+","+$type+","+$majorversion+","+$hostcount

$record | Out-File -Append $MyDirectory\SANpulls\$fileName -Encoding ASCII

}

}   

}

0 Kudos