VMware Cloud Community
R_Brightwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot close Getting Started tabs in 6.0 web client

This is something that is driving me crazy.  :smileyconfused:

For some reason, I cannot close any "Getting Started" tab in the web client, neither by clicking the X at the individual tab level, nor the "Hide All Getting Started Pages" link under the help menu.  The links act as if they are working, meaning that I get no error, but the Getting Started tabs persist.  Interestingly, once I click on the link under the help menu, the text changes to "Show All Getting Started Pages" as if it was already set.  But regardless, those #%$*! getting started tabs remain.

Anyone else have this issue and have a fix?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
R_Brightwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FYI, I seem to have inadvertently resolved my issue with the getting started pages not wanting to go away.  While troubleshooting a different issue, I cleared the contents of the serenity database folder under c:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\data\vSphere Web Client\SerenityDB\serenity\ (after backing it up of course).  Once I did this, I was able to log back into the web client and the option to hide all getting started pages works as expected.  :smileycool:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I had such an issue with vSphere 5.5 some time ago. I unfortunately don't exactly remember how I got rid of this, but I think it disappeared after deleting the browser and/or the Adobe - Flash Player caches.

André

sakthivelramali
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi..Pleas try below steps it will fix the issue

1.Disabling the Getting Started tab,To disable the Getting Started tabs in the vSphere Client:

Connect the vSphere Client to the vCenter Server.

Click Edit.

Click Client Settings.

Under the General tab, deselect Show Getting Started Tabs.

2.To disable the Getting Started tabs in the vSphere Web Client: Log in to the vSphere Web Client. By default, the vSphere Web Client URL is:

https://client-hostname:9443/vsphere-client

Click the Help dropdown (in the upper right corner).

Select Hide All Getting Started Pages.

3. Re-enabling the Getting Started tab .To re-enable the Getting Started tab in the vSphere Client:

Connect the vSphere Client to the vCenter Server.

Click Edit.

Click Client Settings.

Under the General tab, select Show Getting Started Tabs.

4.To re-enable the Getting Started Tab in the vSphere Web Client:Log in to the vSphere Web Client. By default, the vSphere Web Client URL is:

https://client-hostname:9443/vsphere-client

Click the Help dropdown (in the upper right corner).

Select Show All Getting Started Pages.

Thanks Sakthivel R
R_Brightwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion a.p.

I did try clearing browser cache/history, but it had no effect.  I've also tried this in IE, Firefox, and Chrome and they all exhibit the same behavior, which leads me to believe its something to do with the site config *shrug*.

0 Kudos
R_Brightwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sakthivelramalingam85,

Per my original post: "neither by clicking the X at the individual tab level, nor the "Hide All Getting Started Pages" link under the help menu."

You are basically suggesting that I do what I already specifically stated doesn't work, but thanks.

And to make this clear, this problem only exists in the web client, not the C# client.

0 Kudos
sakthivelramali
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please check below setting

1. Locate the webclient.properties file

For the vCenter Server Appliance, the file is located in the /etc/vmware/vsphere-client/webclient.properties directory.

For vCenter Server on Windows, the file is located in the C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\cfg\vsphere-client\webclient.properties directory.

2. Edit the file using a text editor and change show.allusers.tasks=false to show.allusers.tasks=true.

3. That’s it!  No restart of anything should be required.  Go to vSphere Web Client, select “All Users’ Tasks” and it should work.

Thanks

Thanks Sakthivel R
SARAVANAN_O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

please check the path access   C:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\cfg\vsphere-client\webclient.properties directory.

thanks

R_Brightwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, this has nothing to do with displaying the Getting Started tabs.  Did you respond to the wrong question or something?

# Flag to enable All Users' Tasks in the Recent tasks view

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One more "cache" I can think of is the web client's user settings which can be deleted from the Web Client itself. You can delete these settings by clicking the user name in the Web Client followed by "Remove Stored Data" (see e.g. https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-60-host-m... page 34)

André

R_Brightwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Man, I really had high hopes that this would be the answer, but sadly, it had no effect.  Smiley Sad

I really appreciate the helpful and relevant suggestion though.

0 Kudos
SARAVANAN_O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Issue got fixed ?

0 Kudos
R_Brightwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, it has not.  However, I works correctly on a different machine I have access to.  It must be something on the one particular machine.

0 Kudos
dprows33
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure if you ever got this fixed, but I was having the same issue and found that clicking on the dropdown next to "Help" (to the right of username) and selecting "Hide All Getting Started Pages" actually hides them.  I had this same issue and it was driving me crazy.

David Prows Fort Wayne VMUG Leader
0 Kudos
R_Brightwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nope, never have gotten this figured out.  Nothing seems to work.  Its a sandbox environment so I just live with it, otherwise I'd open a case with support.  I suspect that when I upgrade to 6.5 in a couple of months this problem will go away.

0 Kudos
R_Brightwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FYI, I seem to have inadvertently resolved my issue with the getting started pages not wanting to go away.  While troubleshooting a different issue, I cleared the contents of the serenity database folder under c:\ProgramData\VMware\vCenterServer\data\vSphere Web Client\SerenityDB\serenity\ (after backing it up of course).  Once I did this, I was able to log back into the web client and the option to hide all getting started pages works as expected.  :smileycool:

0 Kudos