VMware Cloud Community
PXA-IDS
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot apply evaluation license to one host

Hi all.

I've got a weird problem here. We have a client with two ESXi hosts, one brand new and one a few years old. They didn't run vCenter before, but wanted to try it out. So I obtained an evaluation license and setup the VM, no problem.

However, I am unable to add the older of the two hosts to vCenter. When I add the new host, I select the evaluation license and it applies, no problem. When I try to add the older host, I try to apply that same license and it says it can't because it's invalid or expired.

I'm a bit baffled why it works with one host and not the other. Has anyone come across this issue? Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DhirajChopra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Evaluation License used for 60 days only. if you used running  more then 60 days ESXI Host. I believe its conflict with it. 

ESXI hosts can run as standalone but once you added hosts to VC. License validation start. 

Solution: old ESXI host need to reset in DCUI and wipe all old configuration settings. Re-configure as fresh ESXI host. then you can add for 60 days under evaluation period.  how to reset configuration : https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.esxi.install.doc/GUID-AD450DA3-881B-4916-92...

Please check VMware Evaluation License for more details : https://www.vmware.com/try-vmware.html

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What licenses are already applied to each of the 2 hosts?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
PXA-IDS
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there. Apologies for the delay, life happened unexpectedly as it tends to do.

Both of these hosts are running the free version of ESXi so I believe that's the license that's currently applied. Due to a third-party error when their network was being reconfigured, I can't access the host at the moment. This client is several hours away, but the plan is that I'll be going up there in a couple of weekends to complete the setup in person as doing it remotely hasn't worked. My hope is that I can just export the VMs (there's only 2) off the old host onto a USB hard drive and just import them into the new one. I should have the time to do that when I'm on-site. If this issue does return though, I'll reply again.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can’t manage hosts using the free vSphere Hypervisor licence with vCenter Server.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

"..obtained an evaluation license and setup the VM..."

Aehmmmm... in VMware Land you cant obtain a evaluation license[1] because most of the products run without a license which is the evaluation period. This period goes normally 60 days after installation/powering on. Within this period you can switch to a payed license and back. This evaluation cannot reactivate after its timed out.

If you do a major release upgrade from 5 -> 6 -> 7 the product will automatically set back into the 60 day evaluation period.

Maybe you mixed this up with the free license for the vSphere Hypervisor. This license is not time limited but limited in features.

[1] VMware or the VMware Partner can deliver a license which is valid for a period of time for a POC for example. But thats not for the normal users

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos