VMware Cloud Community
AlphaAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot access vCSA 5.5 with local root account

We are upgrading from ESXi 5.0 to 5.5 U2. Per the corresponding checklist I first upgraded vCSA to 5.5.

The upgraded vCSA 5.5 is giving me login problems. I can login to the vSphere admin GUI (port 5480) and the web client (port 9443) using the local "root" account. However if I try to access vCSA from an application (ie VUM or Backup Exec) the root credentials get rejected (as if I am using wrong username/password). Any ideas why? FYI we are using Active Directory and embedded DB & SSO. I attach screenshot of the summary page.

Thanks! 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If it was working earlier and you changed from a default domain to a proper AD/LDAP, you can try with the username "root@localos"

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlphaAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually a little amendment to the above, I CANNOT login the web-client as local root, I can only login to the vCSA admin GUI (vCSA:5480). Also FYI the root password is set as non-expiring. Thx.

0 Kudos
vuzzini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Could you please login to vSphere client of vCSA (with SSO admin credentials "administrator@vsphere.local") and verify whether root account is added with administrator role under the permissions tab of vCenter.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Sandeep Vuzzini Sr. DevOps Engineer
0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If it was working earlier and you changed from a default domain to a proper AD/LDAP, you can try with the username "root@localos"

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
AlphaAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello and thanks for the reply. root@localos did the trick for the vSphere web client! 🙂

I am still having problem access Linux VAs (including the vCSA itself) from Backup Exec. Before the vCSA upgrade I used to access them with "root". Now I am trying both with root and with root@localos and they both fail. Any ideas about this? Thx!

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

When you did an upgrade, you would have created a new VM in essence and for the backup exec it would appear so.  The backup exec agent might no longer be available on the new VM.

Regards

Girish

0 Kudos
Lenora_BE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Make sure the Remote Agent service is running and then repush the remote agent from the Backup Exec Console.

0 Kudos
AlphaAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies. This is in regards to VAs (Virtual Appliances) not Windows VMs. I don't think there is a BackupExec agent for VAs. In general I read at some post that the whole credentials test is bogus for VAs, the real test is whether backups work and they seem to be okay in this case (I need a couple more days to confirm). 

0 Kudos
Lenora_BE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

gotcha and yes, my mistake, there are no BEAgents for VA's.  Thankyou for responding and clarifying.  Cheers!

0 Kudos
AlphaAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just an FYI for other people, the credentials-testing function in BackupExec may report failure but the actual backups may work. In such case the former can be disregarded.

raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good to know. Thanks for posting back!

Regards

Girish

0 Kudos