I can no longer log in to the vcenter server after the upgrade this morning. No matter what user name I give, the vcenter login it says "User name and password are required". It will also no longer accept any login from the administrator assigned during the initial installation.
I can log into the shell via root and I can log into the backdoor (https://vcenter:5480/login.html) using root.
I upgraded by this method:
Attached VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-18.104.22.16800-3343022-patch-FP.iso file to vCenter Server Appliance
Went to the command prompt and ran the commands given below:
software-packages stage --iso
software-packages install --staged
I've rebooted twice.
I've now had it happen five workstations (three different sites). In each case, once the the update 1b is installed on the Vcenter appliance and rebooted, it does not matter what username you enter (even "firstname.lastname@example.org"), it immediately gives an error stating "User name and password are required". In each case I have gotten it to work using the following admittedly drastic steps (some steps worked on some of the individual steps below worked but not on others but if I do all of them, it always works....). I have no idea how much this might screw up some of your installations so take it with a giant, fat grain of salt...I can only state that this worked for me!
You can now log in.
I had the same issue too - after upgrading via the URL in Appliance Management.
For me, just clearing all browser history (Firefox 43.04, Windows 10 64-bit as a VM in Fusion 8.1 Pro) including cookies, etc and restarting Firefox worked.
Thanks for the suggestions as they made my life easier.
I Installed patch same way with same result.
I am using Firefox 44 Windows 7 64bit.
Login from IE is working.
After cleaning browsing history and cookies and restart FF I can now log in to vcenter
I had the same problem after updating to 6.0 U2
Tried everything above but nothing worked.
Logged in as a different user on the same machine and all was good.
Logged back in as myself and un-installed Chrome, re-installed Chrome and all was good again.
I REALLY dislike the client integration plugin almost as much as the old Java version !