VMware Cloud Community
Sharantyr3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't get Host profiles to work "Host settings validation failed" wehn you edit host customizations

Hi there,

Anyone got host profiles working with vsphere 6.7 ?

I got a fresh install of vcsa, latest version, and ESXi, latest version too.

I extract an host profile from ESXi, then use "Edit host customizations", apply, and bam, error "host settings validation failed". Using FLASH client.

Using HTML5 client, you get no error but half of the customization values are gone.

I tried to simplify the host profile to the extreme, unchecked networking and storage sections, only specified this to force host customization :

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

Then, reset host customizations, then edit them :

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_3.png

Seems ok in task list :

pastedImage_5.png

But ...

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_7.png

In the log files of vcenter, nothing usefull, I even raised log level to trivia but still no luck.

In the ESXi logs, things seems ok but no ..

2018-10-02T08:00:30Z Host Profiles[2606939 opID=EditHostCustomizationDialog-applyOnMultiEntity-1113-ngc: 70000238-87-SWI-6e54f501-2e-8d07]:INFO: Validating AnswerFile Status1 = success

So, out of the box, host profiles is not working here Smiley Sad

It's always been a nightmare to debug this, because VMware still does not understand that "error" "failed" is NOT sufficient to debug...

In the past I faced all kind of problems with host profiles I could solve using patience and logic, but this time, I don't get it...

Thanks for any help / testimony

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Sharantyr3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Eureka (almost)

You CAN customize a host when you ATTACH a profile to it. Do not check the "skip customization" box, and it actually works !

But later, if you want to modify using "edit host customizations", same problem. So I think it's a bug with "edit host customizations".

0 Kudos