VMware Cloud Community
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't download files from vSphere update manager?

I have an account and subscription with vmware.

I get this error on update.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
faruge
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

Check the DNS settings of both your update manager server and the ESXi host and ensure they are set correctly and the A records have been added into DNS.

Kind Regards,

Justin

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to Check the DNS settings on my update manager server.

This is 6.5 and its a built in update manager (Not Windows)

0 Kudos
faruge
Contributor
Contributor

Open up the appliance via port 5480 (i.e https://vcsa.company.local:5480)

Log in with the root account, and under Networking click the Manage tab.  DNS settings are located here.  Ensure it is set correctly.

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I logged into vCenter Manager appliance and checked that DNS is correct.

It contains correct internal DNS entry which points to internal DNS server and correct internal host name, which properly resolves.

I also checked on internal DNS server to make sure that A record exists for the vCenter host. It does.

For some reason when I use update feature inside the vCenter appliance center I get good response inline vSphere web client.

What now?

pastedImage_0.png

BTW, can I go ahead and use update option from here?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

The problem would not lie on the appliance but on the ESXi host. That message means the host was unable to stage patches from VUM, which, as you know, is not built-in to the vCSA 6.5. Can the ESXi host(s) resolve the name of the vCenter Server? Can they do so with forward and reverse DNS queries? If the answer to these questions is "yes" then you'll need to look at /var/log/esxupdate.log after producing this message and scanning to the end to see the exact reason.

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

while I am checking the host, Is what depicted in the above image enough to start update?

0 Kudos
faruge
Contributor
Contributor

The updates in the picture above will update the appliance which you can definitely go ahead with.

Are all hosts failing to update?  Have you gone through and tried to update each host individually to see if you get the same result?

0 Kudos
vipclubber
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How is it possible that in the image above I have version 1f available but in my account I can only see 1e?

Also what do you exacly mean by saying check DNS on ESXi host?

Lets suppose that for simplicity I only have one ESXI host on which the vCenter appliance is running.

0 Kudos
faruge
Contributor
Contributor

Looks live VMware is confusing us!

vCenter 6.5.0f (Released 14th of Nov 2017)

vCenter 6.5.0U1e (Released 9th of Jan 2018)

You will be updating you vCenter to the Update 1 release of 6.5.

As daphnissov alluded to in his comment, check DNS on the ESXi host and ensure it can resolve the vCenter appliance.  Even though the the appliance is running on the host, the host will need DNS to find vCenter.

You can check this either via the console or the web interface.  Below is a screenshot of the web interface of one of my hosts:

pastedImage_1.png

Use putty to SSH to your ESXi host and do a ping test to vCenter (using the host name) and see how you go.  If that fails try to ping the vCenter with the IP address and see if you get a reply.  If that fails also, you probably have something else going on in your network.  If it succeeds then its more than likely a DNS issue.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Kind Regards,

Justin

0 Kudos