VMware Cloud Community
mdonovan
Contributor
Contributor

Can't disconnect hosts after database move

The database server that was storing the vCenter database had an issue and I was forced to move the database to another database server (SQL Server). I did a backup and restore using SQL Server.

vCenter will connect fine and loads up, but there are 3 hosts that I just recently (last week) upgraded to v5 from v4, and after I moved the database vCenter will not communicate with them, even to disconnect them. I see an error in the yellow "alert box" that tells me it's a bad user name and password, which I understand is the internal vmware password, not root.

My question is, how can I get the hosts disconnected so I can reconnect and redo the password, without having to power off the host and take all the VMs on it down with it. Yes they will start up on other hosts, but there is still a downtime and I'll get complained at. The other hosts that I have not upgraded are working fine, just the ones I recently upgraded are having the problem.

And yes, before this database problem I was able to disconnect, reconnect, whatever. Now I can't even put them in maintenance mode. I tried restarting the management network, but that doesn't help.

Matt

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mdonovan
Contributor
Contributor

Just as an addendum, I can connect to the host remotely but I'm not sure how I can vmotion machines off when connected directly to the host.

0 Kudos
mdonovan
Contributor
Contributor

It appears going on the machine itself, resetting the management agents, and waiting an hour will then finally let them disconnect so I can reconnect. Thanks whoever thought about helping!

Matt

0 Kudos
vTagion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Matt,

Truly sorry I wasn't able to get to this sooner. Today is actually my first day on here contributing. In the future another way you can get these to disconnect is by connecting the ESXi host to another vCenter instance (if you have one). In the past when I've had issues with my host and can't disconnect it for whatever reason, I simply connect it to my Dev vCenter Server. I am then able to reconnect it to the original server.

If you felt my comment was helpful or solved your problem, please return the favor of marking my answer as solved. Thanks! | http://www.vTagion.com
0 Kudos