VMware Cloud Community
jjboyd
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Uninstall vCenter Server

Hi All,

I am stuck on trying to uninstall vCenter server 6.7. In the process of upgrading the install got jammed up with 1603 errors. After the upgrade failed, my vCenter server was in a bad state, appearing to have things missing. Resorted to trying to uninstall, which also completely fails. Now, several steps down the road I have just been trying to manually remove vCenter and it's associated applications so I can just reinstall. Trying hard to avoid rebuilding the server or hosting elsewhere due to some network eccentricities and security requirements. 

Recently I've removed each application manually from the machine using msiexec /X{product code}. vCenter server, however appear to uninstall but remains. All the vCenter files under Program files is gone. The installed still thinks there is an instance of vCenter on the server, so it won't install new and the uninstall now can't complete because the uninstaller can't locate any files. 

Is there a way for me to completely clean this up or am I too far gone?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
mikehum
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Ran into similar problems (uninstall did not working, error code 1603) with vCenter versions 6.5 and 6.7 running on a Windows server.

Typically I would just reinstall the Windows server (fresh OS load + patching + install vCenter) 

But recently I found this tool on the Microsoft site 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-r...

This is what I did:

1. ran the command... msiexec /X{product code}  to remove each vCenter related application

2. ran the Microsoft tool.  It detected uninstalled vCenter programs and uninstalled them.  Ran the tool a few times.

3. dropped and recreated the external database (I'm using SQL server) for vCenter.  

4. deleted any remaining vCenter directories from the Windows server

5. delete any vCenter profiles in c:\users

6. rebooted the windows server

7. launched the "vCenter install executable"

8. the screen that prompts to confirm reinstall by "entering in the password for the administrator account"... i ignored the message and just continued.   Installation completed...and vCenter 6.7 is running. 

0 Kudos
jenner43201
Contributor
Contributor

In addition to mikehum's reply above (and very helpful BTW), I did a few more things:

1. The Windows ISO can be unzipped in a directory.  Within the ISO is a "Packages" directory.  You can right-click on each package and click "uninstall".  This procedure looks like a substitute for the "msiexec /X {product code}" and removes the Registry entry, install/uninstall entry, and any installed files pertaining to the package.

2. Perform the same procedures as mikehum's reply.

3. Suggest you also use Regedit to remove VMware entries.  Can't remember all the locations, but I think it was HKLM->Software->VMware and HKLM->Software->Wow32_64->VMware

4. Reboot and try reinstall.  During install I got error 1603.  I just ignored those errors and kept reinstalling.  Each installation attempt kept getting further and then finally installed.

mikehum
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Also... depending on where a VCenter  install fails, requiring in a manual cleanup/uninstall as described above... you may also need to delete the Windows user ids, that are created when VCenter 6.5/6.7 is installed

Run the Microsoft tool NETPLWIZ, and delete the  user ids  created to run the VMware window services

...isn't VCenter 6.5/6.7 so much fun when it decides to go bad....

0 Kudos