VMware Cloud Community
siddjayy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can I use a physical machine instead of VCSA?

Hello Experts,

I am planning to setup a vcenter 6.5 HA with embedded PSC.

For that, I am planning to install vcenter server on a physical server with windows 2016( eg Dell R320)

So, the active will be on Dell Server 1, passive will be on Dell server 2 and witness will be on Dell server 3.

Is it possible/recommended to go this way or should I deploy appliances on ESXi hosts.

Thanks & Regards,

Siddhesh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The Install option doesn't literally mean you can install it to that machine, it means you can use that machine as a system from which to deploy the appliance (as a VM). If you want to use vCenter High Availability, you will have to use the vCSA which means using VMs. Installing any Windows vCenter components at this stage makes no sense as it is going away, and doing so on physical hardware even less so.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCHA is only available with the linux-based appliance, and you cannot install that on a physical Linux system (bare metal).

0 Kudos
siddjayy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Daphnissov,

But if I have an ISO of VCSA, I can mount it on windows and install it , hence the question. Please do correct me if I am mixing up things

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks,

Siddhesh

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The Install option doesn't literally mean you can install it to that machine, it means you can use that machine as a system from which to deploy the appliance (as a VM). If you want to use vCenter High Availability, you will have to use the vCSA which means using VMs. Installing any Windows vCenter components at this stage makes no sense as it is going away, and doing so on physical hardware even less so.

siddjayy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for clearing this up.

Regards,

Siddhesh

0 Kudos