VMware Cloud Community
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor

Can I install vcsa on Free esxi?

Hi All, I have one esxi host and I would like to use vCenter to manage it - in particular, I would like to have update manager. The problem is that I do not want to buy a Windows Server license. I was wondering if is possible to stand up another esxi host in my environment - using free license, just to put the VCSA on it for updating my other licensed esxi instance? I am not sure if the free eSXI would allow me to run VCSA on it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I believe that's possible, but it makes very little sense to stand up a dedicated vCenter to manage one ESXi host for the sole purpose of using Update Manager. Learn how to patch an ESXi host using the command line instead. It eliminates complexity you don't need.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Yes its possible for sure!

I have a couble of customers which have Hosts with local storage managed by a vSphere Essentials VCSA which runs on a different Cluster or Hosts and this hosts runs free vSphere Hypervisor. Keep in mind than backup of this VM than is not possible!

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

Yes , but once license expired you can not manage esxi host.

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Well, vCenter cannot manage ESXi free edition to begin with. If the host is in evaluation mode that's another story, but evaluation mode ≠ free edition.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Nobody talks about that this Host is managed by a vCenter.  The OP ask if VCSA can run on vSphere Hypervisor.... yes for sure.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I wasn't talking about that, but RajeevVCP4​ was implying that. I'm simply clarifying that ESXi free edition isn't the same thing as leaving the host in evaluation mode.

0 Kudos
Raj1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well from VCSA 6.5 onwards you cannot deploy VCSA on ESXi Free Hypervisor .

VMware Knowledge Base

Regards,

AJ