arh_nroe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CPU Overload

Hi

I have two esxi 5.1 Host that manage with vCenter

i saw odd thing in 2 last weeks on CPU Performance

both hosts had jump on CPU Usage performance Graph two times

and it happend exactly in same time for 3 or 4 hours!!!!

if these help:

-i never used "Vmotion" or "HA" or "DRS"

-i have almost 120 VM on both host and i use RAID-10 storages and intel E5 CPUs

-CPU is NOT share on VMs

-i didn't change anything in this weeks just add & remove & Upgarde VMs

-The health status in one host is normall and in another one i have a warning for 6 months: chassis->"system chassis 1 chassis Intru:General chassis intrusion-Assert" but i never saw any problem this 6 months

any idea?

thanks alot

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please check for any activity like backup of VMs. anti-virus scanning which can cause periodic spike in resource utilization.

Thanks

Navpreet

0 Kudos
arh_nroe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

thanks for your answer

1-Nothing every things look like normall now !!!!

2- i didn`t install antivirus

0 Kudos
arh_nroe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

also

Hyperthreaded core sharing on All VMs is on "Any" mode.

may is it cause?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you just seeing the CPU spike for few hours or you also facing an issue where you are running out of resources.

CPU spike for few hours could be due to the fact that the VMs are most active for that period. I would suggest to check CPU utilization at VM level at the time of issue. You can use use top in Linux VM's and Performance monitor in Windows VM.

Thanks

Navpreet

0 Kudos
arh_nroe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks

i don't think it can be helpfull because CPU allocation is deticated and another way when you have CPU overload on host i think it can effect on VM CPUs.

also it's not possible VMs on both host tobe active exactly in same time and almost with same Graph performance.

i think we have two hypothesis:

1.physical problem on server in datacenter.

2.some things wrong on "Vcenter" setting and options.

i checked datacenter there is no problem.

The second likelihood can be cause of this problem but where is peroblem from exactly?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thans again

Arash

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

when you have CPU overload on host i think it can effect on VM CPUs.

CPU load comes from VM and if at all it is a actual state rather than vcenter reporting wrong information than the overall load will be coming from individual VM's only.

0 Kudos
macvirtual
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi arh_nroe,

I'm afraid that I can't give you a specific advice, but generally when you are facing a performance problem, first thing you need to do is to check the workload from the application point of view..... All depends on it, and nothing will be clear until you specify what process consume the CPU time.

Best,

MAC

0 Kudos