VMware Cloud Community
Stevea5559
Contributor
Contributor

Best way to move VMs without 'VMware vCenter Converter Standalone'

Hi ,

Yesterday, I found myself unable to download the 'VMware vCenter Converter Standalone' from our VMware product section.
VMware told me:
    "I regret to inform you that vCenter Converter Standalone 6.2 has reached end of life and hence, the product was removed from the Portal. Due to which, you are unable to download the product from the Portal.
Unfortunately there is currently no replacement or workaround. If there is any update in future, it will be published in VMware communications."  They referred me to this blog:
   https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2022/02/vcenter-converter-unavailable-for-download.html

Currently, we simply have a Dell PE630 + VMware Essentials V6 with its matching install of vCenter + Veeam.
5 years ago or so, I moved a number of VMs from an older host to the above with the Converter Standalone and it was great.
We intend to replace our existing kit with updated hardware and VMware Essentials V7 , hopefully in the next couple of months.
We intend to standup our new system with it's own vCenter, move VM's from the original to the new and then decommission the original.

Is there a 'VMware approved method' to move VMs between ESXi hosts that are not under the same vCenter control ?
If not, could anyone help with what options may be open to us.
Many thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

you can use  Advcande Cross vCenter Server vMotion 

Introducing the Advanced Cross vCenter Server vMotion Capability | VMware

Cross vCenter Migration and Clone requirements in VMware vSphere 6.x and later (2106952)

for the license (for Cross vCenter Migration you need use Enterprise Plus) i suppose you can use a trial with all functionality and after migration apply the essential.

Another option use a third party tool (like StarWind V2V Converter - Converting VM Formats (starwindsoftware.com) or find a VMware  Converter version. 

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment deleted...

0 Kudos
Stevea5559
Contributor
Contributor