VMware Cloud Community
gerf0727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Best way to move VMs between two clusters: HP and UCS

Hello,

We have to move VMs from the UCSChassis cluster: 6 ESXi hosts into an HPChassis Cluster.

I am just wondering how to do it with the minimum downtime.

Thanks for your help,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have shared storage - expose the storahe where the vms are stored to both sets of hosts - and is the hosts are ocmpatible you can vmotion - or at minimum - shut down the VM remover is from the UCS environment and add it to the HP environment -

If you cannot share the storage you - you can use VMwate Standalone Converter and V2V the VMs -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have shared storage - expose the storahe where the vms are stored to both sets of hosts - and is the hosts are ocmpatible you can vmotion - or at minimum - shut down the VM remover is from the UCS environment and add it to the HP environment -

If you cannot share the storage you - you can use VMwate Standalone Converter and V2V the VMs -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
gerf0727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I do have shared storage.

Hpcluster with HP hardware and UCS with cisco hw so i do not think vmotion will work.

So, i guess the only way is to shutdown all vm's, and vmotion them to the new HP hosts, right ?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes - to minimize impact I would not do them all at once - but stagger them particularly if they are redundant systems -

vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just shutdwon vm and migrate to hp host and power it on if shared storage is available at both cluster hosts..

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
Sundararajan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Weinstein5,

If both are in same processor family then we can proceed the vMotion or needs to consider about EVC ? . Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Sundar

0 Kudos