VMware Cloud Community
kelsilj1
Contributor
Contributor

Best path\topology - 5.5 to 6.5 and then 6.5 to 6.7

We are currently on 5.5 u3h and had plans to upgrade to 6.5 using an external PSC, using a load balancer so that we would have replication and enhanced linked mode.  Now that 6.7 is out with the new embedded linked mode, what would you all chose for your upgrade plan?  We only have 2 sites (currently with the same SSO domain) and a relatively small deployment (linked mode).  Getting to the appliance is desirable, but my timeline was also moved up to be completed by June and the load balancer is not available.  Currently thinking standing up a new 6.5 embedded deployment, disconnecting and reconnecting the hosts and then worry about embedded linked mode and replication when we upgrade to 6.7 from 6.5 to make it easier.  Are there other considerations or easy paths?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

That may be fine if you don't care about supported ELM on 6.5 while in embedded mode, but for this type of "swing"-style migration, you might want to give my article a read through for some important considerations of which to be aware.

0 Kudos
kelsilj1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you daphnissov,  I was actually reading  your article before I posted on here, very helpful.  I think my main concern is embedded vs external PSC\topology.  I know there is not a current migration path from 6.5 external to 6.7 embedded, but they are working on it.  Does it make sense to build an external PSC without a load balancer and then look forward to a migration path or just stick with the limitations of embedded to that the 6.7 upgrade is easier?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's up to you, but you might just want to stick to an embedded PSC when moving to 6.5 so that when you bump to 6.7 you can do ELM. Although it's unsupported officially in 6.5, ELM with an embedded PSC *does* work, FWIW.