VMware Cloud Community
gerf0727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Benefits of enabling LDAP Authentication for ESXi hosts ?

Hello,

We have been and need to justify the pros and cons of joining ESXi hosts to Active Directory ?

Thanks 4 ur help,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can see one advantage for sure that you can assign full admin privilages to individual users in a group. If you assume a group of 10 ESX admins, individual users can login to the host via LDAP. If they make any changes or crash the system, you will know who did it. You can track audit very easily by using this method. Otherwise, everyone is going to login as root and we don't know who to blame when something crashed etc Smiley Happy

It is pretty easy to join ESXi host in AD and I don't see any disadvantages as far as I concern. It is invidual decision whether to implement or not.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can see one advantage for sure that you can assign full admin privilages to individual users in a group. If you assume a group of 10 ESX admins, individual users can login to the host via LDAP. If they make any changes or crash the system, you will know who did it. You can track audit very easily by using this method. Otherwise, everyone is going to login as root and we don't know who to blame when something crashed etc Smiley Happy

It is pretty easy to join ESXi host in AD and I don't see any disadvantages as far as I concern. It is invidual decision whether to implement or not.

0 Kudos