VMware Cloud Community
rwalkerphl
Contributor
Contributor

Attaching multiple ESXi hosts to iSCSI Storage on Synology NAS

Hi All,

I've been searching around and have not found an answer close enough to resolve my issue. I have just installed vSphere 6.0.

I have 3 ESXi hosts, and have configured them to enable management access (192.168.150.xxx), and a second switch with a vmkernel to attach to a synology NAS (192.168.160.xxx).

I created a storage adaptor on the first host, and attached to the iSCSi Target/LUN no problem, and deployed the vCenter Server. All was good.

I attached the other 2 servers, and created a Data Center, and a Cluster, then attached the 3 hosts - all good...

I then went and attached the other 2 hosts to the same iSCSI Target, and I see the storage with the 3 hosts attached in the Server Center.

Unfortunately, now the vCenter Server keeps disconnecting, and I think it is because the 3 hosts are trampling on each other on the iSCSI storage.

Can anyone point me to when I am doing wrong?

Many thanks!

Robin.

5 Replies
Bharatk
Contributor
Contributor

You can't share one iSCSI target to multiple clients (servers, esx, xen etc.) except they are running as cluste

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Of course you can share your iSCSI target with multiple hosts.

You need to go to your synology nas, edit the settings of the LUN and make sure you enable the checkbox to allow sessions from multiple iSCSI initiators :

https://www.synology.com/img/knowledgebase/tutorials/use_iSCSI_target_service/9.png

Tim

0 Kudos
rwalkerphl
Contributor
Contributor

As mentioned in my original post, I di set the 3 hosts up as a cluster

0 Kudos
rwalkerphl
Contributor
Contributor

I did enable the checkbox to allow sessions from multiple iSCSI initiators on the Synology.

0 Kudos
rwalkerphl
Contributor
Contributor

I found the answer was to create 3 targets on the Sinology NAS pointing to the same LUN. I then attached each target to each host, and all has been fine since.