VMware Cloud Community
DavidProffitt
Contributor
Contributor

Assigning 5.5 hosts/licences to new vCentre 6 Server

Hi,

Our old vCenter server (v5.5) was on a VM and unfortunately that was damaged beyond salvage, and is now gone. The old vCentre 5.5 server controlled 3 ESXi 5.5 hosts, all with 5.5 licences.

We have now built a new vCentre server (v 6.0) with the same IP address as the old vCentre 5.5 (again as a VM).

When trying to add a host (one of the 3 existing 5.5 hosts) to the new vCentre 6, we get these two warnings:

• The selected license is part of the inventory of another vCenter Server system. Assigning this license will make it part of the inventories of multiple vCenter Server systems resulting in a non-compliant licensing configuration.
  • To restore the compliance, remove the license from its original vCenter Server system after you complete this wizard.

We also get this message:

• Cannot decode the licensed features on the host before it is added to vCenter Server. You might be unable to assign the selected license, because of unsupported features in use or some features might become unavailable after you assign the license.

Question: should I proceed to add the existing 5.5 hosts and their 5.5 licences to the new vCentre 6 server, or is that not advisable?

Basically we’re stuck at the point where we’re not sure whether to add the 3 existing 5.5 hosts for fear of losing data by invalidating the licences somehow – please advise!

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From my personal experience, these messages can safely be ignored. The first two messages are only about compliance (i.e. not technical related) and although the last one might look a little bit scary, you shouldn't have any issues since you are using the same, old license keys.

André

0 Kudos