VMware Cloud Community
gerf0727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are Virtual Network Interfaces, vSwitches ?

Hello all,

I am reading the following document http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/dmz_virtualization_vmware_infra_wp.pdf

And on page 7 where it says "Set Layer 2 Security Options on Virtual Switches
Protect against attacks such as data snooping, sniffing, and MAC spoofing by disabling the promiscuous mode, MAC address changes, and forged transmissions capabilities on the virtual network interfaces."

How do I interpret the virtual network interfaces ? Are those the vSwitches or VM Port Group ?

Thanks for ur help,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Those are not the defaults.  MAC Address Changes: Rject and Forged Transmits: Reject would be the defaults.

But before you go changing them - they dont automatically indicate a security problem - you should find out why they were changed first.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

the VM's are connected to port groups. However, you can either configure these values on the vSwitch level and let the port group inherit them or you can configure them on individual port groups.

André

gerf0727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmm, on my environment at the vSwitch level I have: Promiscous: Reject, MAC Address Changes: Accept and Forged Transmits: Accept.

Are those the default values ?

If I want to implement Layer 2 Security, dont need to be disable ?

Thanks for your help,

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Those are not the defaults.  MAC Address Changes: Rject and Forged Transmits: Reject would be the defaults.

But before you go changing them - they dont automatically indicate a security problem - you should find out why they were changed first.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
gerf0727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmm, thank you very much.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Maybe Edit the Security Policy for a Distributed Port Group  helps you to decide what's to meet your requirements.

André