VMware Cloud Community
Tianyong321
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Anyone knows how to deploy vcva5.0GA with a static IP using ovftool?

My current project need to support VCVA5.0. We need to automate its deployment with a static IP in VCD environment. Unlike VCVA5.1GA and later versions, VCVA5.0 does not have OVF properties allowing us to preconfigure its network through ovftool. I cannot specify its static IP/gateway/net mask before powering it on. Does anyone know how to work around this issue?

Since we deploy it from VCD's catalog, not drectly from a VC, I want to avoid using pyvmomi API.

Thanks

Tianyong

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Just to be clear, you're asking about vCenter 5.0 as a virtual appliance?

0 Kudos
Tianyong321
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. What I want to do is to inject static IP related settings to this VM before powering it on and it boots up with the static IP. If no solution with ovftool, does anyone know if there is other workaround?  

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

5.0 is really not automateable because of what you have noticed, primarily due to the fact that the vCSA was experimental in 5.0. Just out of curiosity, why are you interested in deploying such an old version in an automated fashion? What is the use case?

0 Kudos
Tianyong321
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The product I am working on needs to migrate VMs running in VCVA5.0 to other cloud. Some comanies still use VCVA5.0. We need to automate vcva5.0 deployment to test our product from cycle to cycle. Look like I have to use DHCP.

Thanks 

0 Kudos