VMware Cloud Community
srwsol
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Anyone get the 5.1u1 update to the vcenter service appliance to work?

Hi folks:

I was trying to update the vcenter server appliance from 5.1b to 5.1u1 and the update fails.  The log (/opt/vmware/var/log/vami/updatecli.log) is full of errors like the following that just keep repeating:

vcenterupgrade.jpg

I tried doing the update both via download from the internet, and by downloading the iso file and applying it from there.  Same result both times.  Had to go back to the snapshot prior to the upgrade.   Anyone have any success applying this update?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Seems a known issue: https://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsphere-vcenter-server-51u1-release-notes.html#upgradeis...

Update of vCenter Server Appliance 5.1.x to vCenter Server  Appliance 5.1 Update 1 halts at web UI while showing update status as  installing updates*
When you attempt to upgrade vCenter Server Appliance 5.1.x to  vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 Update 1,   the update process halts for  nearly an hour and the update status at   Web UI shows as installing  updates. However, eventually, the update   completes successfully after  an hour.

Workaround: None.

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Seems a known issue: https://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsphere-vcenter-server-51u1-release-notes.html#upgradeis...

Update of vCenter Server Appliance 5.1.x to vCenter Server  Appliance 5.1 Update 1 halts at web UI while showing update status as  installing updates*
When you attempt to upgrade vCenter Server Appliance 5.1.x to  vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 Update 1,   the update process halts for  nearly an hour and the update status at   Web UI shows as installing  updates. However, eventually, the update   completes successfully after  an hour.

Workaround: None.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Does the update really fail or do you think so because of the logs generated during the update process?

After I read the release notes (see marcelo.soares post) and a discussion (Updating vCenter Server Appliance 5.1 to 5.1 U1 fails) with another user where the update ran for 1.5 hours, I tried it myself and it took about 45 minutes to complete. I assume the error messages are related to the update itself. After the update finished and a final reboot of the appliance, everything seemed to work as expected.

André

srwsol
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I left it go a couple of hours and stopped most of the services prior to starting the update, and this time it worked.  I guess I didn't want long enough last time, although all the ESXi performance graphs didn't show any disk or CPU activity within the appliance, which is why I thought it was hung.

Thanks all for the help.

0 Kudos