VMware Cloud Community
BtrieveBill
Contributor
Contributor

Another VCSA Backup Failure

I am attempting to use the VCSA Backup functionality in v6.5.0, and having a problem that doesn't appear to match any of the other people having issues.  (Lucky me!)

I set up the backup job normally via the VCSA console.  I am doing the backup via simple FTP to an internal FTP server, using a fully-qualified name and the proper username.  While monitoring the FTP server, I see the incoming connections and several files getting uploaded -- then the system deletes all the files it just uploaded and reports "BackupManager encountered an exception. Please check logs for details."

The full backup log from this job is attached, but in essence, everything looks fine until here:

2018-01-31 17:26:16,608 [VCDBBackup:PID-33139] INFO: Execute command: ['/opt/vmware/vpostgres/current/bin/pg_dumpall', '-U', 'postgres', '-p', '5432', '-s', '-c', '--i

f-exists']

2018-01-31 17:26:18,391 [VCDBBackup:PID-33139] ERROR: Password:

2018-01-31 17:26:18,392 [VCDBBackup:PID-33139] ERROR: pg_dump: [archiver (db)] connection to database "vco" failed: fe_sendauth: no password supplied

2018-01-31 17:26:18,393 [VCDBBackup:PID-33139] ERROR: pg_dumpall: pg_dump failed on database "vco", exiting

If it matters, this environment was originally vCenter 5.5 Windows, upgraded to vCenter 6.0 Windows, and then migrated to vCenter 6.5 Appliance.

Thoughts on how to fix this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
13thDisciple
Contributor
Contributor

error no password supplied...  are you supplying the correct password

0 Kudos
kmmc
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this same problem and error today on one of my VCSA running 6.5U1e.  I was able to create create a backup of this VCSA few weeks ago. And I have other VCSA that can connect to same internal ftp site.  Reboot of VCSA did not fix it.  I opened a ticket with GSS.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

>> I set up the backup job normally via the VCSA console.

Can you elaborate how you did this? did you write your own script or used the script from VMware docs?

0 Kudos
kevsmith
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.  I upgraded to 6.5e.  I have another vCenter and it works fine with a lower version and the same manual procedure.

0 Kudos
kmmc
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to workaround the error by including "Stats, Events, Alarms, and Tasks" in the second step of parts to backup.  Previously I was just choosing to back up the "common" (inventory and configuration).  Doing a full backup of both parts was successful. 

0 Kudos
Soap01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any updates to this thread? I am running into the same issues as well for a couple of my virtual centers both which are running 6.5U1e

0 Kudos
kevsmith
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up putting a support call in.  My issue ended up being the proxy enabled.  Disabled and it worked.

0 Kudos
kclever
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same error.  Could you elaborate on what proxy you had enabled and how you disabled it?

0 Kudos
kevsmith
Contributor
Contributor

On the VMware Management Appliance utility, click on Networking, then manage.  At the bottom is the proxy settings.  Click edit and clear the settings.

0 Kudos