VMware Cloud Community
nrhunter
Contributor
Contributor

Alerting on guests that are running with snapshots

All,

I've recently setup an alarm on my vcenter 4.1 that notify me when VMs are running with snapshots, it's setup like this:

Trigger Type: VM Snapshot Size (GB)

Condition: Is above

Warning: 1

Alert: 2

Now this works to a degree, but doesn't do enough.  It still misses out all of the VMs that have orphaned 17,408KB vmdk file and vmsd files if they don't hit 1GB in size.  I have quite a lot of these in my estate due to issues with third party backup programs like netbackup and 3PAR virtual copy.  Having those files hanging around then causes all subsequent backups to fail and to leave more orphaned files again.

I tried setting the warning to 'Is above 0' , but that just caused every VM to display a warning even though they don't have snapshots.....which I found a little odd.  I would have expected that to only warn if files existed.....and I know these machines are free of any snapshots.

So anyway, I can't be the only person with this issue......how do you guys report on them?

I look forward to your replies........fingers crossed on this one as I've never had a single reply on any other question that I posted on here......hahah

0 Kudos
2 Replies
brunofernandez1

some of my customers use Veeam Management Pack for SCOM.

There is a Monitor who can check if there are orphaned files on the datastores....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
nrhunter
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bruno,

Although we do have SCOM in our environment it's not being used on this estate as it is unfortunately classed as legacy and will be decommissioned over the next 6-12 months.

I was looking for an answer that wouldn't necessarily involve a 3rd party application, or if it did maybe a free one.

Thank you for your helpful reply though.

0 Kudos