VMware Cloud Community
commodore541
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After Updating ESXi Host the Host stays on not Responding but it's pinging

Hi, I'm very new to this forum and I hope that I'm posting on the correct Formum.

We have an Infrastructure with 5 Hosts running on a vCenter 6.5 with VCSA and ESXi 6.5 Hosts. The Cluster is a vSAN cluster and I had this issue on my Health Check:

pastedImage_0.png

I then decided to dowload the VIB Patch directly trough Update Manager HP Depo. That acutally worked.

However, I just updated one of the ESXi Hosts and the host is not comming up since more than 30 Minutes.

Does anyone know why and what I can do?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Check the status of the Screen, it might be that the vSAN is still loading, you stated that you have 5 ESXi Hosts contributing for the vSAN, this can take some time till the whole kaboom is loaded.
When you go to the screen and you find a loading bar, it means that this is the issue, it can go up to 30, 45 or even 60 minutes depending on how much Disks you have attached, the size of the vSAN and so on.

If perhaps the ESXi Host is there, you see the Management IP and DNS Name, hit the F2 button and try to login, if that works, go to the settings and restart the management services directly on the GUI. Try to connect on the vCenter the Host, by Right clicking it, and hit the connect button. If it dosn't load and connects. Please return to the Screen and Hit ALT+F1, make sure that on the GUI the Access to management is active. Whenver you hit ALT+F1 you can login with root and your password, please send this commands:

Restart the ESXi host daemon and vCenter Agent services using these commands:

/etc/init.d/hostd restart

/etc/init.d/vpxa restart

and

To restart all management agents on the host, run the command:

services.sh restart

Now try again to Connect the ESXi Host.

If that dosn't work again, please reboot the server and wait till everything is loaded and after you see the login screen from ESXi. Wait another 5 Minutes before reconnecting.

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog

View solution in original post

1 Reply
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Check the status of the Screen, it might be that the vSAN is still loading, you stated that you have 5 ESXi Hosts contributing for the vSAN, this can take some time till the whole kaboom is loaded.
When you go to the screen and you find a loading bar, it means that this is the issue, it can go up to 30, 45 or even 60 minutes depending on how much Disks you have attached, the size of the vSAN and so on.

If perhaps the ESXi Host is there, you see the Management IP and DNS Name, hit the F2 button and try to login, if that works, go to the settings and restart the management services directly on the GUI. Try to connect on the vCenter the Host, by Right clicking it, and hit the connect button. If it dosn't load and connects. Please return to the Screen and Hit ALT+F1, make sure that on the GUI the Access to management is active. Whenver you hit ALT+F1 you can login with root and your password, please send this commands:

Restart the ESXi host daemon and vCenter Agent services using these commands:

/etc/init.d/hostd restart

/etc/init.d/vpxa restart

and

To restart all management agents on the host, run the command:

services.sh restart

Now try again to Connect the ESXi Host.

If that dosn't work again, please reboot the server and wait till everything is loaded and after you see the login screen from ESXi. Wait another 5 Minutes before reconnecting.

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog