VMware Cloud Community
pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After Doing a Storage vMotion about 1gb of .vmdk files remaining.

Hello Community Friends   

After performing a storage vMotion of a VM from a datastore (this was the only VM occupying the datastore) I see a bunch of .vmdkl files remaining. These seem to have created after the storage vMotion was done. I read where you can delete these AFTER :smileyconfused: you confirm that non of them are being used. My issue is, I do not know if I need them or not or how to determine that.

Any thoughts? :smileyconfused:

Phillip Balderos VCP6-DCV
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you've done a svMotion from source to destination of a given VM, and those VMDKs are hanging around the source side, it's pretty safe they can be deleted. Keep in mind that vCenter will not allow you to delete VMDKs which are owned by a powered-on VM, so you have that safety net. Other ways to know about their ownership include vROps, RVTools, and others.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you've done a svMotion from source to destination of a given VM, and those VMDKs are hanging around the source side, it's pretty safe they can be deleted. Keep in mind that vCenter will not allow you to delete VMDKs which are owned by a powered-on VM, so you have that safety net. Other ways to know about their ownership include vROps, RVTools, and others.

pbalderos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@daphnissov

Thank you for the feed back. I have RV TOols and didn't know that I could use it for that. Thanks. I'll follow your advice and let you know the outcome

Phillip Balderos VCP6-DCV
0 Kudos