VMware Cloud Community
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Advice: upgrade VCSA 6.0 to 6.5

I am currently running VCSA 6.0U3b, and need to upgrade to 6.5. I do still have a couple questions.

Because the upgrade is actually deploying a new VCSA, and importing existing data, what should I do about FQDN of the vCenter? Ideally, I want to keep the same name as the current VCSA, to avoid confusion among the staff. How do I accomplish that?

The virtual machine name is going to have to change, right? Ideally, I want the VM name to match the short name part of the FQDN. For example, right now my VCSA virtual name is VMW002, and the FQDN is VMW002.company.local. I really don't want the VM to be called like VMW004, if it's FQDN is VMW002 ...

Otherwise, it seems relatively straightforward. Once I'm done with that, then I can upgrade my SRM to the latest 6.5, as well.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No one? No advice, no link to a clearer explanation? 🙂

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I haven't done this in a production environment yet, but all you basically should need to do, to end up with a new VM with the desired name, is to rename the current VCSA prior to starting the upgrade, and - since this doesn't change the VM's files/folder name - select a different datastore for the target VCSA.

André

0 Kudos
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I suggest you take a look at the upgrade documentation, Upgrading the vCenter Server Appliance and Platform Services Controller Appliance

The upgrade keeps the current configuration, as well as the network configuration (IP address, FQDN).

0 Kudos
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"I suggest you take a look at the upgrade documentation"

I have read it, that's why I asked the questions. LOL To me, the documentation isn't clear on these points.

0 Kudos
A13x
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You get to keep the FQDN, if you want to keep the same name in the inventory just rename the vcenter before you start deployment, for the new vcenter 6.5 appliance call it the original vcenter name and everything will switch over.

0 Kudos
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The documentation is clear about this.

"After the migration, the IP address and host name of the old appliance are applied to the new upgraded appliance of version 6.5. At the end of the upgrade, the temporary IP address is released and the old appliance is powered off."

0 Kudos
MichaelLeone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"

The documentation is clear about this.

"After the migration, the IP address and host name of the old appliance are applied to the new upgraded appliance of version 6.5. At the end of the upgrade, the temporary IP address is released and the old appliance is powered off."

I was asking about the VM name (not the guest hostname or guest IP address). If the above is referring to the VM name, as opposed to the FQDN and hostname of the appliance, that isn't/wasn't clear to me. I do realize that the FQDN / IP  of the vCenter will remain the same; I was referring to the VM name itself.

If it remains the same VM name as the old VM, just on a different datastore, that can be confusing.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you see my previous reply? Renaming the current VCSA's name in the inventory, will allow to create the new VCSA with the old inventory name. Please see what I mentioned about the folder/file names.

André

0 Kudos